02

Past that no one knew pt.1

She held the baby in arms with great happiness. " Jihoon.." She kissed the baby's forehead. But her husband wasn't there. Yet. She believed that he was coming but she didn't see him until 5 hours of her labour.

That once newborn child become a toddler. His curiosity was normal at his age. He smiled seeing his mother. But his happy steps stopped when he saw the man behind his mother. The man who hurt his mother. He glared the kid. " Jihoon-ah~" the sweet voice called him. Young Jihoon run into his mother's arms. She hugged him tight into her arms.

*Crash* *slap*

Jihoon was slapped by his father. It was a silly mistake that he broke one or two bottles of his father's alcohol collection. " Can't you be a little careful ?! Do you know how much these broken pieces cost ?!" He screamed.

" I'm sorry, father.." Jihoon cried , trembling in fear of the man in front of him. His fearful eyes search for his only heaven. Mom. " Jihoon~ " His mother's smile immediately changed after seeing Jihoon. She ran to Jihoon , standing tall before the man, digging hole in his head.

" Why did you hit the child ?!" She questioned the man. That man just ignored her screaming. " Just for this ?" Pointing at the broken bottles. " He is your son! You can buy these anytime, Jihoon Appa!"

" They cost more than this kid here! " His bloodshot eyes flashed. His nails were digging into her arms, she winched in pain. Jihoon watched the man abusing his mom from the upstairs as the bodyguard was carrying him to his room. The whole house filled with their screams and quarrels.

" How can your kid be lesser than your alcohol bottles ?!" "You don't need to know!" "I need to know!"

Followed by loud crash of glasses and his mother's screaming. Young Jihoon cried, hiding under his pillow. Drenching the bed sheet with his tears. He was scared. He was scared for his mother. He was covering his ears. All he wished was to be in peace. He wished the monster to go away. Fat from them.

Years passed by that toddler Jihoon became a middle school student. For the first time in his life he saw his mother cry. He stood out side of his parents room and his mother cried in silence. He knew the reason behind his mother's tears. That man might have done something to her.

He slowly walked inside the room. " Mom.." His weak voice called out for his mother. She immediately turned her back at him, wiping away her tears; smiling at him as if nothing happened. " Oh Jihoon~ You came home early ?" Her red puffy eyes were evident to his eyes.

" I am here for you" Jihoon hugged his mother. She smiled, patting his arms. " Thank you, honey.."

It was a fateful day that he encountered Jinah Bae. She was the only person who were in a similar situation as him. Both of them had family issues and they understood each other very well. That day, he witnessed Jinah's abusive father, leaving Jinah on the ground with a mark of the slap. Jinah didn't cry even after the beating. Her father cursed at her before going inside the party. Smiling ear to ear with the people, fake praising everyone.

Jinah bit her lips in frustration. She didn't want to tell anyone that he just hit her. Her baby like cheek was bruised and her lips were bleeding. She fisted her dress in anger, tears threatening to fall down. Being stubborn as she was, she took a sigh and got up on her feet. Jihoon watched the girl from quite a safe distance. He didn't want her to know about him just yet.

He took two cold drinks from the waiter. One for Jinah and one for him. Jinah looked at the night sky from the balcony. " Here.." Jihoon pressed the cold glass against her cheek. She jumped in fright, looking at Jihoon in horror. " T-Thank you.." She bowed at him in courtesy.

" You should fight back you know.." Jihoon abruptly spoke out. Jinah looked down at her hands. "..... It's useless. I tried before" She chuckled as if mocking herself for her pathetic life. " It keeps getting worse if you do that.."

" Does he hit you every time ?"

" It was just a mistake.." Jinah tried to defend her father but seeing the knowing expression of Jihoon's , she stopped. " I just made a mistake.."

" No one is allowed to hit you just because you made a mistake " "You don't know anything about me" " Because I know how it feels like to have an abusive father" Jihoon stretched out his body to get rid of the stiffness of his body. Jinah smiled at the boy. He was silly.

" I am Jinah Bae.." She introduced herself.

" Jihoon Park " Jihoon smiled.

27th June, 2023
Unedited