Chapter 46. Incoming Sunset Threats

Half a week later.

Luke's new car was up to code, modified how he liked it, and he and Zach had come back to Rilia to practice drag racing in the meantime before their next official races. Ryker had them both listed for the next ones in their respective classes, with Zach's tomorrow and Luke's early next week, and the final rosters for each being posted online tonight to see who exactly they'd go up against.

All day they had spent their time competing at Zach's private spot, a place Luke recently figured out that Ryker had entrusted to only a few racers to hone their skills in. It was why the place was always secluded, no one knew of it apart from who Ryker wanted to be there, somewhere hidden deep in the middle of the bustling city locked away.

Luke found that amazing, but didn't let the scenery distract him from tearing Zach to shreds whenever he could. His emotions were running high, mainly his heart rate and nervous icks that getting back into the sport caused him, but being alone with someone who was dear to him kept it down to a minimum thankfully.

When his nerves didn't control him, he found himself actually having fun. He didn't care whether Zach won a round against him or if he made a mistake, in the end Luke found himself zoning out to the breeze in his air and the engine revving underneath him. All of it was so familiar, letting his feet and hands work as they pleased and instinctively driving him to victory like they used to. His skills were rusty still, sure, but his immense talent was still there, it only needed more polishing to get him back at the top.

Then, once he was back where he used to be and could beat Dylan into the dust, all of this could be settled.

And yet.

By the time they took a break and were drinking waters over by Zach's car, Luke couldn't help but stare at his racer boyfriend and look over him in thought. He glared over at the water bottle firmly in his hand, the sparkly condensation running down past his wrists and the top pressed against his lips. His face was sweaty, covered in his black bangs etched with golden slivers at the very tips, beautifully dyed and almost as radiant as his shiny brown eyes.

He could see now that this sweet, innocent and loving guy was an indomitable racer at heart like he was. Someone full of devotion and skill, and had mastered his craft after countless hours of practice over the course of years. This is what a true racer looked like, yet, Luke worried about himself when he pictured his own self standing there next to him.

"Hey..." Luke spoke to him, cutting to the chase immediately, his personality was too blunt to hold anything in for too long. "I've been wondering lately.... After I get back into S league and all, and fight Dylan off our backs, should I keep racing or go back to how things were before?" He asked Zach, but, also to himself.

By the time Zach finished downing his water and looked back over at him, Luke's head had dropped and he was contemplating hard down at his feet. Before he could say anything Luke started up again. "I'm having so much fun, but, I know I won't feel nearly this good when I'm in an actual race, it'll take time for me to get ahold of my nerves to be comfortable with it like I used to. But, like I want to keep doing this, it's not like I ever wanted to stop racing, but now that I'm here and I settled down and began working with Violet I liked doing that too. I don't- I don't want to give up the life I was making for myself here, but the one that got taken from me meant more than anything to me. I don't know if I could just leave a second time if I did..."

"Luke...." Zach winced, hated to have to hear about all these worries his boyfriend's mind was agonizing over. He came over and put his elbow up on Luke's shoulder, leaning closer against his side. "You don't have to decide on any of that right now. You've got time, dude. If it was me, I definitely couldn't make a decision right away, or before I really started getting back into the swing of things either. I think you should see what you're leaning towards after you and Dylan sort things out, and then see what you wanna do."