Chapter 46

The lift pings and the doors open up to Grey's personal garage. But it's not the expensive cars that get my attention. It's the man walking towards the lift that has my finger trembling against the handle of the gun in my jacket pocket.

"Hello." He nods. "I've been patrolling this building for 6 months and no one's been game enough to get into that death trap with all its electoral faults. Either you're an illusion or you came from the Mancini penthouse with a death wish."

My gut flips and I do my best to contain my rising anxiety as I say, "You're one of Grey's men?"

He nods. "Yep. What about you? You one of his girls?"

One of his girls. Which means he isn't aware of me, and for that, I am thankful. "Just a friend. Do you mind if I use the bathroom?"

He nods. "Follow me."

"I'm right behind you." I step in behind him and pull the gun from my pocket.

As he leads me towards a lone door, he pulls a set of keys from his pocket. Within a few seconds, he unlocks the door and turns round to face me. The sight of the gun wipes the smile off his face.

"Drop the keys on the floor and kick them to me," I tell him. "Then, back into the bathroom."

He snorts, "what the hell for?"

"So I don't have to shoot you. So please, do as I ask."

He drops the keys on the floor, kicks them towards me, and then backs into the bathroom.

When my eyes connect with the camera in the corner, I notice it's not flashing. Harper turned them off. Thank God. I just hope she's ok." Now point me toward the nearest exit."

"As of yesterday, no one gets in or out of Mancini tower without clearance."

"I don't need clearance. I just need you to decide if you wanna be dead or alive when they find you?"

His nostrils flare before he jerks his head to the right. "The white door leads to the main exit and the green door leads to the back one."

"Thank you. And I mean that." Then I kick the bathroom door shut and rattle the handle to make sure it won't open.

I sprint away, gun in hand, weaving my way around vehicles in search of the green door. Within seconds, I see it on the far wall.

Please, please, let it be unlocked. I turn the handle and to my relief; the door opens, and the light of day and scent of rain hits me.

Without a thought, I rush along the walkway. Even though it's cold and miserable outside and a light haze of rain sprinkles the footpath, I've never been more thankful to be freezing and free.

With a glance over my shoulder, I stick the gun back into my pocket, pull the jacket around my body, and run, my bare feet pounding the wet cement. Harper's words going through my head: don't stop until I can't run anymore.

The street is busy, and people are staring because I'm a disheveled mess and not dressed for the cold conditions outside.

Minutes later, after running three blocks and walking one, I follow the sign to central train station. By the time I get there, I'm wet but not soaked after getting caught in the rain. As I enter the station, a noisy train rattles into the terminal, reminding me I have no money or card to purchase a ticket.

It's not until I pass the older man talking on his phone, I spin back and say, "Please, could I use your phone to make a call? I'm desperate."

Thankfully, he agrees and a few seconds later, his phone is ringing and Marcus answers. "Yo. Who's this?"