Chapter 2

Aloy returns to the base. 

Aloy: Hey! What's the matter?

Beta: As you know we've been sorting through all the data we gathered from the Zenith base. We've also managed to merge GAIA with most of her subfunctions, including apollo.

Aloy: That's great! But I'm assuming that your urgency was not out of excitement.

Beta: Yes, you better come with me.

Aloy and Beta went to talk with GAIA.

GAIA: Aloy, welcome back.

Aloy: Hey what's going on?

GAIA: The data that we found from the Zenith base has proven to be valuable. Also, as my processing power has significantly increased through the merging with almost all my sub functions, I was also able to gain access to the data of my predecessor.

Aloy: What did you find out?

GAIA: You are not the only light keeper that my predecessor released. There was another person who was not part of the Zero Dawn project whose genetic material was preserved and included in the light keeper protocol.

Aloy: What? Who is it?

GAIA shows images of him.

GAIA: His name was in the official records of the project. He was one of the biggest benefactors of the project. He supplied the Zero Dawn project with all the resources they needed. His name was Matthew Rodriguez. He was the CEO of a huge conglomerate in Elisabet's time. He was also the biggest investor in Miriam Technologies.

Aloy: So, he and Elisabet knew each other.

GAIA: Yes, it seems so.

Aloy: But why was he in the light keeper protocol?

GAIA: We do not know; we can only speculate. Being a major investor in Elisabet's company and as a major benefactor to the Zero Dawn project, his status may have allowed him to become part of the light keeper protocol.

Aloy: Sure, apart from being rich, what relevant skills did he have that got him in the light keeper protocol?

GAIA: None, perhaps he and Elisabet had an agreement to include him in the light keeper protocol and in return he would provide the project with every resource they needed.

Aloy: But why? Are there any more records about him?

GAIA: Unfortunately, none.

Aloy: Alright but why did your predecessor release two light keepers?

GAIA: According to her logs, she created Matthew as a contingency in the event that you did not accomplish your task.

Aloy: Your predecessor thought I wouldn't be able to fix the problem? Where was he released?

GAIA shows a map of an area in what was once Seattle.

GAIA: He was released from this cradle facility.

Aloy suddenly remembers Brin's vision.

Aloy: I know this might sound crazy but a shaman I know had a vision about a "Devil" and that I would be "standing beside him". Maybe this is the person he was referring to.

GAIA: My programming does not include in the belief in superstitions nor acting on visions. However it may be beneficial to find him. He may be a potential ally in defeating Nemesis.

Aloy: Okay I'll go find him. Do you have any images of what he would look like now?

GAIA shows a picture of him approximate to his age now. The photo was unusual, not like what Aloy had seen before.

Aloy: He doesn't look happy in that image.

GAIA: This photo was taken at a police precinct. He was often arrested on gang and drug related charges.

Aloy: He was a criminal? How old was he in that photo.

GAIA: 15 years old.

Aloy says goodbye to GAIA and walks out of the room with Beta. Aloy and Beta further discussed about their revelation. Afterwards, Aloy goes to talk to Sylens in his room. They discussed the second light keeper that was released. Aloy was both feeling worried and excited to meet this second light keeper. She said goodbye and left the base but before she started her journey, she visited Brin. Aloy told him about Matthew and her journey to Seattle. Aloy asked Brin about his vision again and asked what the "Devil" looked like. Brin described a man wearing a metal mask and his eyes were glowing red. This made Aloy even more confused about this person. She said goodbye to Brin and began her journey. As she travelled to Seattle her mind was filled with thoughts about Matthew. She was worried about how she would talk to him about Nemesis. Does he even know that he was part of the light keeper protocol. Also is he even alive?