Chapter 10

Aloy stood frozen, a wave of dread washing over her. Her mind raced, struggling to process the scene unfolding before her. Altan's desperate protests of innocence echoed through the air, but Aloy remained paralyzed, confusion and worry rooting her in place. Her fists clenched tightly, her mouth dry with anxiety, as she watched the tension escalate.

Just as she gathered the strength to rush down and help, she noticed the guards carefully escorting Altan and the rest of the delegation away from the bridge. Aloy felt a mix of relief and frustration; while Altan was safe for now, the situation was far from resolved.

As Altan was escorted back behind the Veshino line,  she hurried to meet him, needing to understand what had happened and to ensure he was safe. Altan spotted her and approached.

     Aloy: Altan! What happened?

Before he could respond, Altan's attention was drawn to his generals approaching with heavy, urgent steps, their faces etched with worry and anger.

     Altan: Let's talk inside.

He placed a reassuring hand on Aloy's back, guiding her into the tent. The generals followed closely; the air thick with tension. Outside, soldiers stood on high alert, guarding the tent.

Inside, the atmosphere was charged with unease.

     Sogida General: What the hell happened out there, Altan?!

     Nexarok General: Is this your doing?!

     Pidona General: I bet this is their work. They poisoned the Averni king to cover their tracks!

     Siluban General: If that's true, then this is an act of war! We must respond in kind!

     Alissia: We don't even know if it was them!

The generals erupted into a heated debate, their voices rising with speculation and accusation. The tent was filled with an air of tension and unease. Altan sat silently, massaging his forehead, a shadow cast over his eyes. He was deep in thought, trying to piece together who could be responsible for the Averni king's assassination.

Seeing Altan like this made Aloy anxious and worried for him, and the bickering generals only intensified her concern.

     Sogida General: Altan, say something!

The tent fell silent. Altan did not respond immediately. After a few moments he stood up, and soon after, horrifying words came out of his mouth.

     Altan: Begin preparations for the bombardment of the settlement. Tell your kings to assemble troops at the northern border.

His delivery was cold and monotone, a tone Aloy had never heard from him before. The generals quickly moved to relay Altan's orders to the army through their focuses. Alissia approached Altan, speaking in a hushed tone.

     Alissia: We shouldn't act so hastily. For all we know, this could be the Averni's own doing. A   faction within their ranks might be responsible.

     Altan: This is not the time for speculation; this is the time for decisiveness.

Aloy was troubled by Altan's words. Her heart racing, she decided to voice a proposal.

     Aloy: Altan, wait! Let me investigate.

Everyone turned to look at Aloy. Altan looked at her with surprise.

     Altan: Why do you think they'll let you do that?

     Aloy: Because I'm not one of you. I have no stake in this conflict. My only interest will be in finding the truth.