22

Noah Velentnez

"So did you guys hear about Mr Lance?" My eyebrows raise and I glance up, Mike leans against the wall.

"No what happened?" Jordan chimes in.

"Apparently his fiancé cheated on him," my jaw tightened.

As I hear Mike mention the news about Mr. Lance's fiancé, a pang of sympathy mixed with concern surges through me. I pause my work for a moment and join the circle of my coworkers, eager to hear more details.

"No way! Are you serious?" Jordan exclaims, his eyes widening in disbelief.

Mike nods, his expression serious. "Yeah, it seems like she cheated on him, he hasn't come to work since."

"How long has it been?"

"Like a week?" Fuck. She told him? Jasmine told mark.

I felt a knot forming in my stomach as I processed Mike's response.

I wanted to check up on her, I wanted to see her.

"Hang on, isn't that Mark over there?" I glance up and see Mark storming towards us, anger built up in his face. The moment he reaches us, he throws a punch directly into my face. The force of Mark's punch catches me off guard, and I stumble backward, pain radiating through my face.

The taste of blood filling my mouth. I bring my hand to my throbbing cheek, feeling the warmth of blood trickling from my split lip. Anger and confusion surge within me, a mix of emotions swirling in a chaotic storm.

As the searing pain subsides and the shock of the punch wears off, a surge of anger courses through my veins. The instinct to retaliate overwhelms me, and without a second thought, I lunge forward, aiming a punch of my own at Mark.

My fist connects with his jaw, and I feel a mixture of satisfaction and fury surge through me. Mark stumbles backward, caught off guard by my sudden retaliation. But before I can take another step toward him, the firm grip of my co-workers wraps around my arms, pulling me back and restraining me.

"Easy, Jake! Calm down!" One of them shouts, their voice laced with concern.

The adrenaline continues to pump through my veins, my heart pounding in my chest. The anger inside me still burns fiercely, but the physical restraint forces me to confront the reality of the situation. Engaging in a physical altercation will only escalate things further, and it won't solve anything.

Reluctantly, I allow my co-workers to hold me back, my breathing ragged as I try to regain my composure. Mark, visibly shaken but resolute, takes a moment to steady himself before addressing me with a venomous gaze.

Mark's voice carries a warning, his words dripping with anger and betrayal. The weight of his gaze is suffocating, his eyes locked firmly on mine as he delivers his ultimatum.

"Stay away from her," he growls, his voice filled with a mix of pain and fury.

"Or what? What are you going to do?" I challenge him, my voice laced with defiance. The anger coursing through my veins fuels my own defiance, and I refuse to cower before his threats.

Mark's eyes narrow, his fists clenched at his sides. His anger radiates off him like waves of heat, but I stand my ground, refusing to back down. This confrontation has been a long time coming, and I won't let fear dictate my actions.

"You think you can just waltz back into her life and expect her to forget everything?" Mark seethes, his voice strained. "You think you're better for her than I am?"

I take a step closer, my own anger simmering beneath the surface. "I'm not claiming to be better, Mark. But I won't stand by and watch her be unhappy either. I love her, and I want what's best for her."