A Battle

Jean ended up coming over to the Dawn Winery for dinner—after everything all three of them had been through together, it was nice to see each other again.

Of course, Venti felt the need to make things a little more interesting. Although not a getting-wasted-and-singing-on-a-table-for-mora sort of way, unfortunately.

It started with him asking Barbara for a favor at the Winery. With Barbara being herself, she agreed without question despite not knowing what it was and despite being upset with him for destroying the Holy Lyre. Although her level of trust in acquaintances was a little concerning (but perhaps he was just an old, jaded dude), it was exactly what he wanted. So, he almost let out a conniving laugh when there was a knock on the door.

Diluc wondered out loud who it could be, to which Jean nodded. Luckily, Venti was an expert on playing dumb and innocent. Neither even thought to ask him if he knew with how well he was getting away with it, so Diluc answered the door himself.

"Oh—Master Diluc," the nun said, looking startled. "Hello, um, I was—"

Venti practically skipped up to greet her (and if only he didn't enjoy creating these situations so much). "Hello, Sister Barbara!"

"Hello." Barbara nodded in his direction. "I'm here to help! You said there was something you need?"

He put a finger to his mouth, pretending to be deep in thought. After a good fifteen seconds of total silence as he put on the act, mumbling to himself for good measure, he said, "oh dear. It seems I've forgotten! My sincerest apologies, Sister Barbara. To make up for it, why don't you stay for dinner?"

Diluc crossed his arms, and Venti could practically read his mind. The man would ask him if he thought anyone would actually believe that, then scold him for inviting someone to his house as if it were his own. Then he'd give up because Barbara was a saint and because he was secretly softer than he'd like to appear. Conversation over.

"Oh no, I could never intrude, it's really okay—"

Venti began to (forcefully) guide her to the table. "Oh, but I insist!"

Meanwhile, Jean looked increasingly awkward as she greeted Barbara, and with that he considered most of his work done. The two lightened up after a few minutes as they grew more comfortable around each other.

"How did she believe that?" Diluc whispered to Venti when Jean and Barbara started to go back and forth about baking (somehow thinking they were still maintaining the pretense of not being sisters).

"I don't think she really did," Venti shrugged, his mouth full (Diluc gave him a look for it but he ignored it). "I think that they just really want to be sisters, so they ignored how... forward I was. It's my godly duty to create somewhat uncomfortable situations."

"Or you just enjoy it."

"Now what kind of god would I be if I didn't force people in uncomfortable situations to have them learn a valuable lesson. Ahem— guide people." Venti frowned at Diluc's unamused stare. "Hey, it's not like I tied them both down!"

"I didn't say that you forced them," Diluc replied drily, like that was all he needed to know.

Eventually they moved to a couple of couches (Diluc offered the girls grape juice which turned into Venti trying to get wine), where Kaeya was eventually brought up. Venti considered Diluc and Kaeya's relationship even more difficult to deal with, so he treaded more carefully around that subject. Of course, he couldn't let himself meddle too much, since he could make it worse and it was best to let them work things out naturally, a little nudge or two wouldn't hurt.