2

Tuesday, September 18th, 9.43 a.m.

The drive to the Andersons' residency was silent, the tension thick. It was as if when they were in detective mode, they could ignore the fact that they hated each other. That they had had a rivalry going on for the last three years.

The silence was only stopped when they stopped at the lap to deliver the DNA samples, and when Louis asked if they could stop by the bakery to pick up coffee. They were today driving in Harry's car—it stank of doughnuts.

Harry stopped the car in front of the bakery, drumming his fingers on the wheel. "Let's go in."

"I can buy two coffees on my own, thank you very much," hissed Louis.

"Yeah, sure you can." Harry stepped out of the car. Louis rolled his eyes and followed suit.

They walked side by side over the small parking lot, but something made Louis stop dead in his tracks. His blood was rushing in his ears, and he had blinked rapidly a couple of times with his eyes to make sure he was seeing correctly.

Harry stopped, turning to see why Louis had stopped. "What's wrong?"

Louis swallowed, looking at the car parked near the entrance. Aiden's car. "Nothing." He shook his head.

Harry furrowed his eyebrows, following Louis' gaze to where the Toyota was standing. He seemed to be putting two and two together in his head. "Aiden."

"How do you know?"

"I once caught the two of you snogging up that car, remember?" Harry said. "About six months ago. Horrible memory."

Louis swallowed. "Right."

"If you want, I can go grab the coffee?" Harry suggested.

A small smile tugged Louis' lips up. "Look at that, Styles. I believe you're being nice!"

"I'm a decent human being, you know."

"I highly doubt it sometimes."

A small smile formed on Harry's lips. "I can do it, you know."

"No." Louis shook his head. "He was the one who cheated, I shouldn't be scared to face him."

Harry actually grinned. Grinned. "That's the spirit. Now come on, let's get coffee and then search through a teenager's room. Thrilling, right?"

"Right," Louis breathed, beginning to walk up to the bakery. "Yes. I can do this."

"Yes, you can!"

"I hate you, but thank you."

"Growing soft on me, Tomlinson?"

"Well, I am not growing hard on you, that's for sure."

A startled laugh escaped Harry's throat at this, and he quickly covered his mouth with his hands. Louis smirked. "I am very funny, Styles, glad you finally realised."

They reached the building, and Harry opened the door. "Come on, you piece of shit."

"Thanks, you scumbag."

They stepped inside, and there Aiden was, looking at today's specials. Louis thought he would be able to face him, but the moment he lay eyes upon him, the image of him and that other man emerged in his brain. Aiden on the bed, the man on his knees—

Louis shook his head, and when he looked up again, Aiden's eyes had landed on him, his mouth forming an O.

Barbera, who was behind the cashier table, clearly didn't notice the tension that formed between Louis and Aiden, instead, she shrieked and walked to Harry.