My Best Friend

Miranda sat on the swing on the front porch reading. Her mom had her father buy it so that she could sit there and read instead of climbing in her favorite tree to sit and read. Miranda preferred the tree because it was another way to escape the tight grasp her mom had on her, and she never understood why. Miranda was in her imaginary world of aliens and saving the galaxy when Benjamin Warren, her neighbor pulled up in the yard on his bicycle. She smirked and continued reading her book as he walked towards her. When they first met a few months back before high school started, he was so annoying because he was always talking and asking so many questions. But since they were in their spring semester of freshmen year, she'd grown to love his talking and questions.

"Hey Miranda, on an adventure in one of your books again?" Ben asked as he sat closely beside her and looked at the pages.

"Yes, I finished all of my homework so that I could read the new book in my favorite series."

"Oh, I need to finish the rest of my homework, but I wanted to come hang out with you," Ben said.

"You always want to hang out Benjamin Warren," Miranda said just looking at him before she continued to read her book.

"Because I like talking to you and I feel like I can be myself around you. It's like you're my best friend," Ben said.

Miranda looked up from her book surprised. "I've never had a best friend before.... what do I have to do as your best friend?" Miranda asked.

"Nothing more than what we do now but maybe we can just hang out more and you can come to my house, and I come inside yours," Ben explained.

"I would have to ask my mom about you coming inside but I guess we're best friends now," Miranda smiled.

"Good, I'm so happy and excited now," Ben said scooting closer and taking her hand in his.

Senior year....

Miranda was sitting on the porch like always and she just knew that her best friend would be showing up sometime soon like always. Unlike when they first met, the questions slowed down once he got to know her and felt he understood her. So they found other things to talk endlessly about because they had so much in common. Ben always found ways to make her smile, laugh and she was able to be herself with him. He was her only real friend outside of the characters in her books.

Even though he was one of the cool kids at school he never changed, and everyone knew that she was his best friend because he never hesitated to make it known. So even though she didn't necessarily get picked on she wasn't popular and didn't have friends. The jocks and popular kids were cordial with her because of her connection to Ben which she appreciated him for. Except for Jessica Meeks who she had a tolerate/hate relationship with because she had crush on Ben since sophomore year and she felt that Miranda was in her way of getting him. Ben seemed to never pay her the attention she desired from him, so she took it out on Miranda, which she didn't understand why because she was just his best friend.

Just as she thought, when she heard a car drive by, she looked up to see Ben pulling into his driveway with the car his parents got him for when he goes to college. He had his Tupac playing loudly but it stopped abruptly once he got out of the car. Ben didn't go inside but quickly ran over to Miranda, crashing onto the swing.

"Gosh Ben, do you have to sit down like that, you are going to mess up my swing," Miranda fussed.

"I see you're enjoying the vampire novel I got you for your birthday."

"Yes, it's really good and there is a sequel, so I need the other books too," Miranda said playfully as she smiled at him.

Ben grabbed her hand as always and stared at the details in her palm without saying anything.