11

Hours passed by until it's time for us to meet at the carnival. Sinabi ni Aris na sa tapat na lang kami ng perya magkita-kita para hindi na kami maghintayan sa kani-kaniyang bahay. I don't have any choice but to meet them because of Aris' fault. Tarantado kasi at dinamay pa ako sa kalokohan niya. Kanina ko lang nalaman na inilista pala niya ako sa kakanta mamaya sa perya.

I immediately stood up and fixed my things. Siguradong hindi ako patatawarin ng mga kaibigan ko kapag nakita nilang pumunta ako na pambahay lang ang suot. I need to dress up to look presentable, thinking that I still need to perform in front of a crowd.

I picked my moss green pullover to partner with my plain black jeans. Since it was already dark, I bet it would be nice if I won't get noticed by the public. My friends surely won't let me overdress myself.

"Smile Khaydy," I said to myself while looking in front of the mirror. My mother used to say those words when I was young. When she was still alive. Those words calmed my nerves whenever we went to the carnival or somewhere with a huge crowd.

Something caught my eye while I'm looking in a mirror. A faint smile was formed on my lips after realizing what it was. Hindi na ako nag-aksaya ng oras at kinuha na ang bagay na pumukaw ng atensyon ko. It was the guitar my father gave me before they died. It was their last gift for me.

When the both of them were still alive, they used to play lullabies and songs about the waves. Sinabi nila na dahil sa dagat, nabuo ang pagmamahalan nila. They told me that it was the sea who made our family a concrete one. Little did we know that it was also the sea who would break us apart.

I noticed a tear dropped on my guitar. Hindi ko namalayan na umiiyak na pala ako. The memories that entered my mind somehow triggered the sadness inside me. They were still inside me.

"Be sure to have fun." I picked my baseball cap and guitar before went on my way. The carnival was quite far from where I live, which caused me to ride a tricycle. Sigurado naman ako na ako pa rin ang mauuna sa aming lahat. My friends don't have a sense of time, after all.

"I'm really sorry Khay. Resched na lang natin, please."

I held out a deep sigh after hearing Clarisse's voice. She's the last one to call me just to say that she couldn't come. Blake and Aris already called awhile ago and, they also said the same thing. School works and bunch of workloads.

"Ayos lang," I answered. Wala na rin naman kaming magagawa dahil kailangan pa rin nilang unahin ang mga 'yon. "Tapusin mo agad yung mga dapat mong gawin. Wag kang masyadong magpupuyat."

"Sure Khay." I smiled. "Nasa perya ka na ba?"

"Uhm, yes." I roamed my eyes around the colorful place. The loud crowd almost drown my voice because of the laughs and shouts.

"Uuwi ka na ba? Or do you want me to send some company for you?" Guilt covered her voice. Sana pala ay sinabi ko na nasa bahay pa ako. I should have known that she would react this way.

"Hey, there's no need for you to send someone. Kaya ko na 'to." I answered, hoping that it would ease her guilt. Sa aming magkakaibigan, si Clarisse ang pinaka-emosyonal. Emotions would eventually envelope her if someone won't notice it.

Silence enveloped the two of us. Hindi talaga mapapakali si Clarisse hanggat mag-isa ako.

"I also do have someone to see inside." I lied. Bahala na.

"Sure?"

"Yes," I answered. "Don't worry about me, Clarisse. Adios!"

I held out a deep sigh after hanging up our call. Clarisse was too persistent to send someone with me. Nakalimutan yata niya na hindi ako masyadong marunong makisama sa tao.

Uuwi na sana ako nang may maalala akong isang bagay. Aside from the gathering the four of us planned, there's one thing that I somewhat need to do. Aris wrote my name for one of tonight's performer for the mini stage held by the carnival's committee.

"Aris, kasalanan mo 'to," I murmured. I mentally noted that I would kill Aris by the next time we met. Kung hindi lang niya isinulat ang pangalan ko sa listahan, hindi sana ako nag-iisip ngayon.

The loud crowd' s noise echoed, drowning my thoughts. Nasa gate pa lang ako pero rinig na rinig ko na ang ingay ng mga tao, dahilan para mas lalo akong kabahan. I do want to run home yet, I don't. Kilala ako ng organizer ng mini stage, nakakahiya naman kung di ako pupunta.

I bit my lips as I slowly walked inside the carnival. The colorful lights and massive rides welcomed my sight. May ilang mga pamilyar na tao na rin akong nakikita. Some were my blockmates and some were my neighbors. My grip on my guitar strap tightened because of the sudden nervousness.

My heart pumped as if I was running fast. The cold breeze passed through my pullover, causing me to shiver. Isa sa mga bagay na ikinakatakot ko ay ang kumanta sa harap ng maraming tao nang wala man lang akong kaibigan na kasama. I might actually faint because of nervousness and anxiety.

After minutes of walking, my eyes caught the area of the mini stage. Dozens of chairs were lined up, as if a small concert was happening. Instead of walking towards the area, I found myself hiding and moving away from the place. Nervousness enveloped me. Hindi ko yata kakayanin na kumanta.

"Don't think too much while walking. You might bump something or someone."

My thoughts were interrupted as I saw a familiar figure. The same tall and muscular feature welcomed my sight when I turned to the voice. It was him, Irvin.

"Just thinking about something," I said before I held out a deep sigh. I was surprised to see him here once again. Hindi ko naman inaasahan na magkikita pa rin pala kaming dalawa. A coincidence, I guess. "You're still here on the same stall, huh?"

I haven't realized that I was now on the stall were the two of us met. Siguro ay dahil sa sobrang kaba ko ay hindi ko na namalayan kung saan akon dinala ng paa ko. Maybe nervousness really controlled my whole body.

"Yes," he said before averting his gaze. An awkward air covered the two of us because of I-don't-know-reason. Bigla na lang tuloy akong naguluhan sa nangyayari.

"What brought you here?" he asked, breaking the silence between the two of us. I noticed his eyes locked on the guitar on my back. Bigla na naningkit ang mga mata niya habang nakatingin sa dala ko.

"This," I said before opening my guitar bag. The acoustic guitar my parents gave me welcomed our eyes. I don't know if it was just my imagination, or I really heard Irvin saying woah.

"My friend wrote my name as one of tonight's performer. I really should have escaped but, I couldn't. I don't want to disappoint the organizer though." I forced a smile while looking on my guitar. Talking with someone I'm not close with wasn't part of my thing but, I just found myself talking to Irvin once again. Something on him really made me comfortable.

"So, you know how to play that?" Irvin asked inoccently. I couldn't help but to chuckle because of his question. "Of course, I do."

I was about to say something but, I felt a soft tap on my shoulder. Yngrid, the organizer of the mini stage, welcomed my sight. Surprise enveloped my whole body. Iniiwasan ko nga na makita niya ako pero, mukhang gusto talagang makita ng langit na kinakabahan ako.

"Khaydel, malapit ka na kumanta, you ready?" Yngrid asked immediately. Bigla na lang tuloy akong kinabahan dahil sa mga sinabi niya. I'm not yet ready for that thing.