To Love and Be Loved (Part 1) | Neteyam

pairing: Neteyam x ChiefsDaughter!Reader

summary: You had wished it was a little easier to hate Neteyam, maybe it would've meant you didn't have to fall in love with him, or at worse, live your life without him.

note: Thanks to /lazyfnafvideogamesparty , you requested a chief's daughter one-shot in which the relationship is a lot like Neytiri and Jake's!! I hope you enjoy! Since this is a long one, I've decided to separate them into two parts. Expect the sad shit in part 2 :( Also, I'm kinda back from hiatus? idk if this fandom is dead now, but I'll be posting some other avatar characters :)

warnings: Enemies (not really) to Lovers, mentions of sex/mating, fluff, angst & eventually more to come in the next part.

word count: 3117

Being the middle child of the Chief meant the choices in your life would always be outshined by your siblings. Your oldest sister was remarked as the golden child, the future Tsahìk, who would bring the clan to great prosperity. You would have the opposite, as your job solely contained taking care of your younger sibling and trying to step away from the shadow that was your heavenly sister.

It came to no surprise to you then, when your father and its clan greeted the Toruk Makto and his family with open arms, as they sought refuge from war. In any other instance, in any other clan, they would have shunned them away in protection of their own. However, your Father knew of Toruk Makto and his abilities, and how eligible a match his son would be for his own daughter.

Which definitely wasn't you.

Which is what shocked you to say the least, on that very night of the Sully's arrival, your father made a proposition.

"My children will teach your family our ways." Your father spoke loudly, the entire clan had centered for dinner, but both families had sectioned out privately to discuss matters. "My eldest will teach your sons."

"Shouldn't y/n teach them? She knows the land the best. I am better in our traditions." Your eldest sister spoke out, her voice the perfect tone disciplined by your mother. In any other circumstance it would've been considered rude, but your sister had long been known to be a soft spot in your fathers eyes.

"Shánti knows our traditions well, she will teach you all our clans' voices through Eywa." Your mother's voice rang out in the air, silencing your father from speaking who reflected on the words before nodding in agreeableness.

"That's wonderful." Jake Sully's mate Neytiri, spoke out as she looked across her children with careful looks. "They will learn well."

Jake mumbled something incoherently under his breath, before clearing his voice. "That's  great, but my kids need a strong foundation. My eldest son here will help wherever he can." Jake latched an arm over to Neteyam who had stood quietly.

You frowned by his unusual demeanor, and judging from his nonchalant attitude you would grow annoyed. The men in your clan were a lot different, and you weren't sure if you could handle the challenge.

"Yes, I am sure you will find all the knowledge you seek Toruk Makto, y/n will guide him." Your father spoke, glancing at you finally for the first time all night. You couldn't help the outward huff, as your father clucked his tongue. "What do you say, y/n?"

"I say the lands are foreign to nomads. But it's not something you can teach." You narrowed your eyes. The last thing you wanted to do was babysit and help refugees who were escaping from a war.

"They Shouldn't-" you began to reply, but your mothers hiss stopped you.

"You will do it!" Your mother argued, swatting at your tail in warning as you groaned in frustration.