Farah

Hello! Long time no see.

I have lately a fascination for everything soulmate related, and I ended up writing on it. I have several prompt ideas, I might write a serie with that theme, but don't hesitate to share yours! No promise but if I end up writing it I'll tag you to keep you updated.

The AU here is that soulmates can see what the other see, briefly, until they meet and look into each other's eyes. What kind of world would it give, in Fate: the Winx saga? 

Without further ado, I hope you'll like it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a world where it was almost impossible to ignore who their soulmate was for long, Farah Dowling had no idea who hers was for three decades.

Her heels clicked on the ground as she ignored the blackness that engulfed her, knowing exactly where she stood and where she wanted to go; she was all too used to these episodes.

Really, everything was done so that everyone had their chance; the magic itself would give them the opportunity to see through the other's eyes, for as long as it took them to recognize the surroundings, the familiar faces, and then to try a meeting.

Several associations offered help to investigate based on descriptions; others helped pay for the travel towards the soulmate's location.

Others, less science-based, would offer magic objects to force connections more often, to make them longer, sometimes pretending they could talk through the other's mouth -this was leaning towards blood magic, and was firmly forbidden, but some were too desperate-, or sometimes... The opposite.

There always were sceptics. Those who didn't want to believe in fate, and refused to acknowledge the existence of their soulmates.

For that, there were pills, amulets, to refuse the connection to the soulmates; sometimes, even as they faced each other -the occasion to solidify their bonds and stop the spontaneous visual connection- the magic wouldn't react, and they would pass each other as if nothing linked them.

Farah couldn't understand.

Magic was beautiful, magic was sacred. It wasn't about fate, but the best compatibility between two persons; who wouldn't want to know if the one they were dating would be the best to bring them happiness? How could they live, never knowing if their relationship was good enough?

Yet, her soulmate stayed disturbingly out of reach.

The colours came back first, then the details were made clearer. Just in time for her to enter her classroom, and spend another day as if her magic wasn't perpetually unbalanced and as if she didn't feel perpetually lonely.

-And I heard she never found her soulmate!

A giggle resounded in the classroom, and she froze.

-You're kidding, right? The woman is in her forties, who could not know who their soulmate is after, like, thirty years of visions?

-Maybe her soulmate just doesn't want her. They have to know who she is, by now, so it must be that they don't want her.

Farah closed her eyes, a fraction of a second.

She knew all that, she had been through similar thoughts for years. As infuriating as it was, there was nothing she could change about that. If they didn't want her, it was their loss; a relationship would be taxing the time she didn't have, already.

-Good morning, class!

The guilty gossiping girls stood straight with fear in their eyes, but she pretended that she heard nothing, knew nothing, and gave another excellent lecture. If she pushed them a bit more than usual, it was simply but a coincidence.