7. Digging Through Old Memories

The trip through the Groundbridge didn't feel any less weird the second time.

The fact that the magic portal was tied to a machine back in the bunker, Thomas doubted it was really magic, but considering he didn't really know how it worked, he supposed that was the closest thing to magic. The swirling colors around gave off a weird sensation that made the little engine shiver, but it somehow felt... familiar? This whole thing was so, so confusing.

"One thing at a time... one thing at a time..." He whispered as they exited the portal, his eyes once more meeting the hills of Sodor. The storm has passed, but it was clear it had been stronger than Thomas had realized. Branches and whole large limbs from trees were thrown to the ground, and the soil squished under his feet as they all looked around.

"...Still sad and quiet." James grumbled.

"Yeah..." Boulder mumbled, "...Kinda like when we got back to Griffin Rock..."

"Your island was empty once too?" Henry asked.

Boulder straightened his stance, clearing his throat. "A story for another time... Now, let's see what we can find in the town below. I brought us here because the buildings are all mostly still standing, so we might be able to find more clues. Remember to keep together with your assigned buddy, alright?"

"Obviously," Gordon muttered, "We're not children..."

Boulder smirked, and then motioned for Diesel to follow him.

"Okay..." Thomas hummed as they walked down into the empty streets, "...If I were clues about where everyone went, what and where would I be...?"

"Inside the buildings." Percy guessed, peering into one of the broken windows. "...Thomas, look."

Thomas bent down beside him, looking inside. The inside of the building had lots of tables and shelves, but no chairs. On the shelves were goods, and also lots and lots of broken jars and bottles scattered across the ground. "Hmm... Looks like it might've been a shop of some kind, but it's not like we've ever seen the inside of a human shop."

"That's what I was thinking," Percy whispered, leaning a little closer to the window and trying to look around the corner of the wall. "But all of the jars and bottles are broken while almost everything else looks untouched."

"Dusty. Very, very dusty."

"Well, it has been a hundred years... Hmm."

"Hmm?"
Thomas looked over as Percy stood up a bit and walked around the edge of the building. "Where are you going, Percy?"

"The other engines and Cranky might be too big to fit inside here, but maybe we're not, Thomas..."
Percy walked over to the door, and then gently prodded it with a finger. It creaked open, and he poked his head in. "...Tight, but I think I can fit."

"Be careful, Percy."

"I'm always telling you that, Thomas..." Percy giggled, and then crawled through the door. It was a little tight inside, but he smiled as he was able to sit up inside the space. "Hmm... sticky goop is all over the floor back by the shelves, and... I think some of this dust is actually flour."

"What would flour be doing all over the floor?"

Percy shrugged, "Maybe wild animals got in here looking for food and then spilled it by accident?"

Thomas hummed, that would make sense, he supposed. "But nothing about what happened to the people?"

Percy shook his head, "No... Okay, I'm coming back out."
Thomas backed up to allow his friend to crawl back out of the tiny shop, before both of them stood up straight again. "Do you think we were mean, making Boulder have to deal with Diesel all day?"