Chapter thirty one: the showstoper

Text
"I was thinking we did Hogwarts this year for the display," Harry said, sipping some tea. He lounged on the couch in the living room. A plate of biscuits sat on the table. He reached for one of the ladyfingers. Harry took a bite of it, gesturing with it. "How about we create a display of Hogsmeade next year? It's iconic, and it'd have so much potential. It wouldn't be much bigger than the Hogwarts display, either."

Kreacher sipped from his teacup. He sat in one of the armchairs, tucked up against the backrest. His legs dangled over the edge, high above the floor. His ears flapped as he nodded, and he hummed in agreement. "Kreacher thinks that is a great display idea."

Harry almost always started planning the next year's display right after he revealed the current year's. It allowed him to think of what he wanted to do, what innovation he wanted to make to his bakes, and how he wanted them to look. He could work on various ideas through trial and error. It was always a gingerbread display, but he also liked to figure out what other flavors would partner well with it. That way, he would only have to focus on refining the details when it came to actually building the display overall.

Harry leaned forward. He finished his biscuit, wiping the crumbs onto his shirt. "I wonder, though. Do you think it's possible to add some layer of sound to a bake? Maybe have some short song play every so often. Like a music box. If you wind it up, it plays a short little tune. I think it'd add charm. Maybe add a little Christmas song to it? Wonder if I could sneak in a Muggle tune. I don't think anyone's tried to do that with a magical display."

"Maybe if Master Harry puts a spell on one of the buildings in the display, that could work." Kreacher rubbed his chin. "If yous put it on two of them on opposite sides of the display, it'd make it sound bigger."

"You mean to anchor it that way? Make a particular slab of gingerbread with the spell for the song on it and use that to build the two different houses?" Harry took a bite out of his biscuit. His eyes narrowed as he drifted in thought about what spells and when he'd apply them during the baking process. "It'd have to be applied almost as soon as you form the dough because if you wait until it's been shaped or in the oven, it won't take."

"Maybe Master Harry starts with adding something simple, like a bell on one of the shops, to see if that works?" Kreacher suggested. He took a deep drink of his tea.

"Oh! I should have thought of that. I can easily play with some gingerbread that way through the year before trying the song bit." Harry slapped his knee. "You're a genius, Kreacher."

Harry set his teacup down and leaned forward. He grabbed his sketch pad and a pen preparing to write out the list of ideas they'd come up with for the Hogsmede display. The list quickly filled the page, generating itself as one idea flowed into the next. This was why he had chosen to become a baker. He enjoyed the artistry and the challenge of discovering new ways to approach old techniques and recipes.

From that list, Harry started to draw out what the village would look like. He had clusters of houses and shops, sketched out brick for the walkways, and snow blanketing it all. Soft yellow light colored in window panes to mimic candlelight. An owl perched on the top of a lamp post. Harry circled some portions, noting where he wanted to try the new sound effects, putting a bell on a couple of the shops.

It occurred to him that someday, when he'd have more time and energy, Harry would like to perhaps open up a second bakery for Hogsmede. As much as he had enjoyed visiting Honeydukes as a student, he would have enjoyed a bakery even better. The teashop didn't cut it. Harry wasn't sure how he'd ever manage two locations, but perhaps someday if one of his baking assistants became as dependable in executing his recipes, maybe he could expand. Harry would never dare to follow in Muggle example with franchising and expansion for expansion's sake, but he thought perhaps Hogsmede would be a nice addition.