Chapter 16- Almost Caught

"We really need to go out and get groceries," Jimin said. She was sitting on the big armchair in her room, petting Winter who was curled up in her lap. Minjeong, who had been checking her emails while sitting on Jimin's bed, looked up.

"Right now?"

Jimin laughed.

"That's what I was thinking, yes — unless you have something better to do."

"No, I'll come with you," Minjeong closed her laptop and put it to the side, "if I stare at my inbox for any longer, I'll go insane."

"Great!" Jimin gently put Winter down and then practically leapt out of the chair to look out of the window, "We should hurry up, though. The supermarket closes at six and it's already getting dark."

They had been skiing the whole morning — Minjeong had managed to fall only two times — and while their parents were enjoying some kind of TV-show downstairs, they spent the remaining time of the day in Jimin's room, either talking or just doing their individual thing in silence, which was also very nice. With Jimin, Minjeong did not feel like she had to talk all the time. The silences in between were comfortable silences and it did not get awkward when they both read or were on their phones. Most of the time, it actually gave them more things to talk about and as comfortable as they were, the silences never lasted for very long.

"Should we take Winter with us?" Minjeong asked as she and Jimin were getting ready downstairs. Jimin shook her head.

"No, she can stay here. She's not allowed in the supermarket and I don't want her to have to wait outside," she pet the small dogs head who gave a grateful little huff, "when we're back, we can take her outside for her evening walk."

She put on a beanie and gave Minjeong a second one before gently pushing Winter towards the living room. Once she was sure she would not follow them, Jimin opened the door and held it open for Minjeong. Even though the days were getting slightly warmer now that it was March, it still got quite cold once the sun was gone and Minjeong tightened her scarf as she walked beside Jimin towards the main road.

After that one visit right on her first walk through the village, Minjeong had not entered the supermarket, she realized. Most of the time, it were the adults who went out to buy groceries and once or twice Jimin had done it but neither of them had ever taken Minjeong with them.New, the two girls entered the supermarket with one of the metal carts and were greeted by the same woman that had given Minjeong the plastic bags for Mr Lee.

"Okay, what do we need?" Minjeong asked while she steered the cart through the maze of shelves.

"Cereal and milk," Jimin read aloud from the grocery list in her phone, "then maybe some fruits and vegetables. And some chicken for tonight's dinner."

"Alright," Minjeong pointed towards the aisle with fresh fruits and vegetables, "here we have the fruits - I'll go get those."

"Great!"

Minjeong picked out some bell peppers, corn and some other things while Jimin went to get some of the other things. When Minjeong found her again, she was standing on the back of the shopping cart, slowly scooting past the shelves. Since the cart was still very empty, Jimin had to lean forward so that it would not fall over backwards. It looked hilarious, the way she bent her body around the handle, her butt sticking out.

"What are you doing?" Minjeong giggled.

"I'm too lazy to walk."

"And that's more efficient? It looks pretty exhausting to me."
"Buuut I don't have to move," Jimin grinned and stepped down with one foot to get some momentum. The cart did not want to succumb to being used in such an inappropriate manner and promptly rolled right into a shelf full of different pasta packs, sending a few of them flying.