Chapter 14 - A funeral without a body

King Maren let go of the man, as if his hand was burnt. "You-" He broke of the sentence with a sharp "tch!" and shook his head vigorously.

Looking at the rest of them, he rapidly beckoned them with a flick of his hand, and immediately started heading to the exit.

But as Noah followed, he could hear the man laughing. "It's too late now! There is nothing you can do!"

Immediately after they all got out, Noah's father slammed the door, and it hit the hinges with a sharp clang!

Little words were said as the group ascended the spiral steps as quickly as possible.

The man's words played again and again in Noah's head, alomg with their terrible implications as well. King Judias will die by the end of the week. We will fight Juria alone.

The group soon reached the top of the stairs, and were on the other side of the doors to the dungeon. Noah felt himself subconsciously relax, tension leaving his muscles, and felt himself letting out a breathe he hadn't realised he had been holding.

He immediately felt guilty that he felt like that, but he couldn't help it. Being away from that man's presence was liberating, like a big weight had been removed from his shoulders.

Thinking about that, Noah immediately remembered that the secret had been revealed. They know what happened now. Please don't say anything, please, please, please.

But after the other news about King Judias, everyone seemed to have forgotten about it. They had more important things to worry about now. Noah would be more than glad if the whole lot of them (excluding Sir Henry) forgot about that conversation entirely.

King Maren was directing orders to Sir Henry. "-Send out our swiftest messengers. Tell them that their King is in danger. Quick treatment might yet save him."

Sir Henry bowed his head, and started off to one the hallways on the right.

_______________________________________

When the rest of the group, Noah, Jaden, King Maren and Queen Stephanie reached the throne room, and closed the doors to block any prying eyes or ears, King Maren collapsed on the steps that led to the throne. "What do we do now?"

Queen Stephanie looked at her husband. "You know what we must do. The funeral for Prince Jordan must be started."

"His family won't come," King Maren pointed out. "Judias will be too sick to come, and Helena will want to stay with him."

"We have no body to send back," Queen Stephanie replied evenly. "And the royal family will be too preoccupied to bury the dead. We might as well give ourselves the honour."

"Give ourselves the honour," King Maren muttered under his breathe.

"Really, it doesn't matter. Prince Jordan must be buried soon, even if we can't find his body. If we can't send anything to Corsaya, and besides, they will have problems of their own, the least we can do is put him to rest here."

King Maren considered this for a few moments and then nodded. "Very well then." Unsteadily, he got to his feet. "We must announce it. The body must be prepared-" King Maren stopped himself.

"Can't prepare the body if we don't have one, can we?" Queen Stephanie said coolly. She turned to Jaden. "Get your sister. I think she will have cooled down a little by now."