Chapter Fourteen

"So, what exactly is tempeh?" Dad asks, staring at the menu of Veganese.

"It's basically fermented soybeans. Kinda like tofu, but it has a different texture."

"What's tofu?"

"Dad," I say, rolling my eyes. "Just try it. It's good."

"Or get the falafel," Ryan says. "Falafel is always good."

"That's true."

"Ooh, they have bubble tea!" Ryan says, her eyes going wide. "I've always wanted to try that but I can't find any back home."

"I love bubble tea," my dad says.

"You do?" I say, raising my eyebrows.

"What? I'm hip. I know what's trending in the world of food and beverage."

"Okay, Dad," I say, laughing. "Then what's the best flavor? Order for us."

A few minutes later, we are all sipping on strawberry-matcha bubble tea. We collectively agree that getting said bubble tea should become a visiting New York City tradition for us. Laughing with my best friend and my father, I think back to another family tradition. When my dad's parents were still alive, we would go visit them in Vermont. Each summer, as we made the trip, we would always stop at this little ice cream barn in Bennington. Think your classic, black and white square floored, Vermont ice cream shop. Across from the ice cream counter was an old-fashioned candy shop, and sometimes Mom and Dad would let me fill up a bag of sweets. We would always get waffle cones, sometimes dipped in chocolate or sprinkles, and the old couple that ran the shop would always put a malt ball at the bottom of the cone. And it would only be $2.35 — a steal. I wish that barn was still open. I wish my grandparents were still alive. I wish my dad would tell me stories so that I can write a movie about Grandpa.

"Earth to September," Ryan says, waving a hand in front of my face. "Did you hear anything I just said?"

"Oh, no. Sorry. I was reminiscing."

"About what?"

"Grandpa," I say pointedly, looking at Dad.

"Tember, why are you so obsessed with writing a movie about him?" Dad says, causing Ryan to look rapidly between the two of us.

"Because nostalgia is my favorite emotion, Dad. Because I loved Grandpa and I want to remember him always. Because he inspired me to love books and stories and movies."

Dad sighs. Ryan takes a sip of her tea and raises her eyebrows at me.

"Fine," he says after a moment. "Tomorrow I'll pull out some old photo albums and we can reminisce together, okay."

"Okay."

Suddenly, Dad's features de-constrict and he relaxes. Then he begins to smile mischievously.

"What?"

"Oh, you know what," he says. "I agreed to help you with your movie. Now I get to ask you all about Nick."

"Ughhhhh."

Ryan snorts. "Sept, I think you walked yourself right into that one."

"Yup."

"Come on. Tell me all the deets. How did you meet? What's his major? Show me pictures."

"'Deets' dad? And I already told you his major."

"I already forgot. Tell me again."

"Ooh, I'll go, I'll go!" Ryan cheers, waving her hands and then pretending to hit a Jeopardy buzzer. "What is Environmental Science?"