Chapter 8: A Series of Trials

Chapter 8: A Series Of Trials

To say that the twins' territory was fun must be the biggest lie of the year.

Additional to that, it was a perfectly good training and suicidal ground.

Carl Cassidy Riverside and Misha Leonovich found themselves running for their lives. If not, at least dodging random stuff they never expected.

Carl would have enjoyed the place if he couldn't see the charred or infected dead bodies. Now, he understood the real reason behind Joan saying good luck to him. He needed it badly to keep his sanity.

They had to get through these hellish gates and he didn't know when he would reach the castle. They were in the fifth level already and he just wanted to end it now.

The first and second levels were quite easy considering they only have to take a stroll and fight their way in respectively.

He had the suspicion that the peacefulness of the first was to either prepare or deceive the travelers of what was coming. Still, it was warm and very welcoming. Normal life during the old times was shown well.

The blond wasn't that good at sword fighting and he tried before to imagine he has magic but it was harder than he expected and he failed. So when they entered the second, he found Misha perfectly capable of protecting herself with a sword. She was good at it and the Riverside speculated that she took swordplay lessons with Mordred.

The third and fourth levels undeniably wanted him to puke his breakfast in Reality. It was all too cruel and he couldn't help but pity the suffering Imagineds at what he saw.

Seeing the bubonic plague or the Black Death happen right before his eyes was terrifying and disgusting. He shivered at the thought of tumors of the size of an egg or an apple appearing in his skin. Getting a fever from an epidemic wasn't a nice idea too.

The burned bodies didn't help to the bile threatening to get out of his system. A head even rolled like a ball in front of them. He swore too that he caught sight of bodies hanging somewhere. He never fancied executions and tortures anyway.

The fifth one was similar to a randomizer. Anything dangerous and foolish from gigantic carnivorous dinosaurs to vegetarian zombies existed there. The twins must have tinkered too much with the thought of everything existing in the Medieval District.

It was impressive how they managed to establish a very protected territory. One might die even before they arrive at the castle and he sure hoped that they weren't one of those people. And the worst case scenario was probably to lose their minds.

"What do we do now?" A panting Misha asked him. Her red hair and clothes were sticking to her skin due to sweat.

"One minute." Carl muttered as he surveyed his surroundings from the boulder they were hiding at. Blood thirsting zombies littered the field and he found a door painted on the bark of the tree. They have to reach it. "There's our goal point."

"But that's just a 3D artwork." The rednette argued as she clearly forgot where she was.

"Misha, it's a possible escape for this level. We've been wandering around this part for who knows when. This is our chance." The blond explained with an exasperated look. He could still see the confusion and skepticism in her eyes.

"But it is impossible!" She asserted and he started wondering if she always forgot.

"Misha, we're in the Image World. Everything is possible. Have you forgotten that?" Carl talked to her as if she was a child and he noticed her right hand twitch in irritation.