Suspicious Activity and New Fame

Reader's Pov 

I huffed and forced myself out of bed, getting in the shower to get ready for the day. In preparation for the spell drive tournament, Crowley gave everyone a day off to practice and set up teams. I signed up to work at the cafe today, leaving Gothel in charge of my three familiars while I was gone. I got dressed and left the dorm, heading out to the mirror chamber to teleport to the city. "Heading out for a stroll?" I jumped a bit as Lilia suddenly appeared in front of me.  "Gah!... don't do that! You almost gave me a heart attack... I'm actually going to work... not just walking around." The male hummed as he started walking by my side.

"Care if I join you?" I shook my head as I continued walking, observing the male closely. "I don't mind.... but shouldn't you be getting ready for the tournament? Don't you want to take part in the game?" The male laughed in response, causing me to look at him in confusion. "You really ​​​​​aren't from this world, are you?" I just shook my head as I continued my journey. "Well, all I'll say is that, in Daisomnia, we already have our team mostly picked out before the next year begins... our housewarden, me, and two others are always automatically selected. From there, we just need to pick three others."

I nodded as I stepped through the portal leading to the main city, walking down the path and to my job. "A cafe, huh?" I shrugged as I walked through the front doors. "I like baking, and it was available." I waved goodbye as I changed into my work uniform, getting ready for my shift. Lilia choose to stay at the cafe for the first part of my shift, sitting in a corner, buying drinks and snacks every now and then to keep occupied as he sat on his phone, before he had to get back to his dorm. I switched between making desserts in the kitchen to taking orders and handing them out to the costumers every hour. It was finally my lunch break, and I sat in the employee room, munching on some cookies I bought when my boss came into the room.

"Oh, thank goodness you're here. I'm really sorry to bother you, but all the other employees can't help me. I have the closing shift tonight, but a family member of mine was just sent to the ER. Is there any way I can convince you to take over my shift? I will pay you overtime for this." I stopped eating, putting my food down as I glanced at him in concern. "That's horrible... I'm so sorry. Of course, I'll take over your shift!" The male sighed in relief, visibly relaxing. "Thank you. You're a life saver... I'm sorry it was so sudden." I just shook my head as I smiled and placed a hand on my heart. "No problem. Im glad to help, boss." The male smiled back, a slight hue of red decorating his cheeks as he mimicked my motions. "Just call me Nicholas or Nick for short. I really appreciate it, though..." He was silent for a moment before he thanked me once more and left the bakery.

I finished my lunch break and got back to work, continuing my rotation with the other employees until eventually it was just me working. The customer count slowly dwindled as well, less and less coming in until there were only three people left who already had their orders and were just relaxing at the tables. As I was cleaning up the kitchen, I headed the bell to the door chime. Two people had left, and I couldn't see the final customer. They were probably in the bathroom. I started to hum softly as I cleaned, slowly starting to actually sing as I became lost in my own fantasy world.

"It's not simple to say

That most days I don't recognize me

These shoes and this apron

That place and its patrons

Have taken more than I gave them

It's not easy to know

I'm not anything like I used to be

Although it's true