Chapter 19

When we got over the hill Katie and Daniel had come back from, I could see the top of the temple in the distance, on the side of the mountain, with a set of stone stairs leading into the main building.

"We're almost there!" Katie said, "Told you! See, this was super easy!"

"Yeah, it seems that way," I said, "Too bad we still have to fight Xelsa before we leave."

"If you're being accurate, you don't have to fight him," said Daniel, "We could just cleanse and move on from there."

"Not an option," I said, "We have to get that gem off Xelsa."

"Speaking of the dog," said Katie, "Where has he been? You'd think he would have tried another attack on us or something."

"Only he knows," said Daniel, "This works out a lot better for me then, since I have to go back to the camp."

"Huh? Why?" Rhys asked.

"I got word from the camp last night during my awake shift," said Daniel, "Boss has reason to suspect we might have a raid on the camp. Wouldn't be the first time, but they want all hands on deck."

"So we're going on without you?" I asked.

"I'll keep a track of your progress and get the portal going as soon as the two of you cleanse and deal with Xelsa," said Daniel, "Good luck, girls."

With that, Daniel stepped away from the three of us and walked off into the woods, without a care in the world.

"I sense a lot of tragedy in that man's past," said Felice as we all carried on towards the temple, over a large wooden bridge, "As if he has trouble trusting when it comes to other people."

"Oh, he's definitely got a tragic backstory," said Katie, "Guaranteed, he's that kind of brooding hero type."

"We can ask when he's ready," said Rhys, "In the meantime, let's get to that temple."

The conversation stopped there for a bit as we focused on the travel, and keeping an eye out for danger. Much to my surprise, we made it without a hitch.

"This is way too easy," said Rhys when we made it to the base of the temple, "Where's Xelsa?"

"Maybe he's inside?" Katie said as she kept her dagger out, "Keep your guard up."

We did so. My hand was on my sword, and I could feel Felice on my back, as if she were ready to take control at the instant. Rhys had a fireball out in front of her, ready to fire. The three of us made our way up the steps, until we made it to the top and could see inside. Much to my shock, the temple was empty besides the fountain, as per usual.

"Maybe he's in hiding and he's gonna jump us?" Katie asked, "Come on out, you puppy!"

"Xelsa's not the kind of guy who would wait for us," I said, "If he were here, we'd know already."

"Good point," said Katie, "So should we cleanse now?"

"No," I said, "I want to take Xelsa down first. We need to bring him here."

"And how exactly are we going to do that?" Katie asked, "Call for him? Just wait for him to catch up?"

"I got a better idea," said Rhys. She mumbled something under her breath, and a ball of red light appeared in her hand. Before either Katie or I could ask her what she was doing, she fired it into the air, where it exploded like a firework.

"That should bring him running," said Rhys, "So now, all we have to do is wait."

"Ugh, I hate waiting." said Katie.