Prologue

"Hey Jalen, i'm just going to check your vital signs" Keegan the nurse stated walking in

"Jalen? Jalen can you hear me?" she repeated shaking him. She still didn't get a response from him.

"Can I get some help please!" she yelled, alerting the other doctors to come running in.

"I just came to check in and he's not responding" she informed the doctors backing up.

"WE NEED TO PERFORM CPR" a doctor in a white coat warned them.

"Keegan we got this, you have to leave" Aubrey told her coworker shutting the curtains.

Although Keegan was scared, she couldn't show it. She was a nurse. The 24 year old had just arrived at Emery's Hospital to be treated for a concussion.

"Code Blue, I repeat Cold Blue" the blue sirens started to go off around the hospital. Turning to walk back to her desk, Keegan silently prayed for the young football player.

———————————

"Why this light so damn bright" Jalen mumbled squinting his eyes.

"Oh my God, your awake" Keegan jumped holding her heart.

Rubbing his forehead he stared at the nurse, she was honestly making his headache worse. Feeling the need to vomit, Jalen reached to hold his stomach.

"Wait! let me get you a Emesis bag" Keegan panicked. She hated to see someone throw up, let along gag.

Wiping his mouth with a washcloth, he closed his eyes laying back down. "Would you like some water" she offered trying to make him feel better.

Not getting a response, she nodded turning back to her computer.

"So it's currently your third week in the hospital, you won't be able to leave until Wednesday" she informed him. It was currently Sunday, so she had 3 days left with him.

"Man I needa get the fuck outta here, I gotta get back on the field" he snapped sitting up. "No, it's best if you stay laying down sir" Keegan stated.

Rolling his eyes, he was tired of her talking. She was telling him things he didn't ask. "Get out" he spat staring at her.

Looking around the room, Keegan started to walk towards the restroom. Switching on the light, she saw nobody. Turning back towards Jalen she asked, "Are you seeing people?".

Holding a confused expression he said a simple "Nah" making Keegan nod. "Exactly, im tryna figure out who you talking to" she chuckled crossing her arms.

Smacking his teeth, he huffed and puffed staring at the wall. "You can blow the whole hospital down if you want, saves me hours" she giggled.

Slipping on her gloves, she turned to the medicine draw grabbing the IV pain medication. Toradol is what the doctors preferred to give him for his pain.

Finishing up, she removed her gloves throwing them away. "Is there anything you need sir?" she questioned dimming the lights.

Shaking his head no, he turned to lay on his side. Hearing the slide door shut, he was left alone with only his thoughts.

"What if I didn't make it"

"What if she didn't come in on time"

"What if she- just what if" he thought. The same what if questions, replayed in his mind making his heart skip a few beats.

———————————

"Pooh let me tell you how rude this patient is" Keegan mugged rolling her eyes.

"LMAO he can't be that bad" Aubrey laughed chewing on ice.

"No, he literally told me to get out while I was checking on him" she mimicked what he said.

"Pat my back pat my back" Aubrey coughed holding her throat. Doing just as she asked, she slapped it hard 3 times. "Damn girl not that hard, but that was funny" Audrey chuckled.

Keegan didn't think he was funny, she didn't like rude patients. Putting her focus back on her computer, she started to fill out paperwork for all her patients.

Just as she was about to click save, her nurse call bell went off. Looking up, she saw room 772 being lit up. Realizing the room was filled out to Jalen, she took a deep breath.

"Yes sir, what can I help you with" she politely smiled grabbing her gloves. "Can a nigga get some food, you starving me" he grunted.

"I can bring you some yogurt, would you like that" she requested. Hoping he would just agree, "That's not food" he replied.

"We'll sir you did just recover from a coma, you can only handle heart-healthy foods" she explained to him.

Not even letting him get the chance to respond, she turned on her heels going straight to the kitchen. Grabbing two low-fat yogurts and a plastic spoon, she returned back to his room.

"You don't have to eat it but, it would be great if you did". she muttered walking out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey guyssss

How y'all like it so far?

Vote & Comment🥹