Prologue

29th February 1780

The stillness was overbearing.

At first, one couldn't even hear the sounds of nature, which would've been hard to miss in a place so secluded from contemporary civilisation. But if one listened carefully—

Yes. The hiss of the Andaman Cobra was loud and clear. It was a bit too close for the woman's liking. She could also hear the sound of waves lapping against the sand and the rustle of bushes nearby.

The rustling grew louder, revealing a mysterious figure. The woman gripped the satchel tighter, frozen in the spot. She knew it wasn't wise to stand there and do nothing, but if the figure turned out to be what she thought it was, any resistance would have been futile. The figure stepped out into the moonlight, causing the woman to let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. Just her husband.

The man stepped closer, moonlight illuminating his dark features, making his black eyes glitter. His brown hair looked almost black in the eerie moonlight. His tunic had ripped near the shoulder, probably from a tree branch.

"All clear," he whispered, "They should be here any minute now."

The sea gurgled, drawing the couple's attention. The woman watched as her husband ran over to the shore. He seemed to be conversing with the wind, but she knew who he was talking to and their topic of discussion.

The deal she made with the djinn to get out of this wretched place.

Three descendants will return to this island after a century.

She gulped away the guilt that clawed its way up her throat. No point feeling sorry for people she'd never meet. What mattered now was getting out alive. Her husband ran over to her.

"It's ready," he grabbed the bag out of her hand. "Come on. We're finally out of this mess."