New Beginnings

Khaizarigarabad thrived without the constant stress of attack.

Esmaael planned out a completely different curriculum for the upcoming students. Dema took over the role of head healer and inherited the apothecary. She chose to stay in her old hut with her brothers and Abru, despite advice from the old head healer herself. Zekiy, the boy Pierre had tried to help after the Battle of the Goliath, had accepted the role of being her second-in-command. Pierre had indeed noticed a tremendous change in him; his confidence had skyrocketed, and he seemed more involved than ever. An election was held to decide the new village elder, and with Pierre and Esmaael's efforts, it was Meryem who was the newly elected elder (they didn't have to do much in terms of convincing the people; it was Meryem who needed to be convinced to take up the post). The university was almost done being constructed, and there were plans to move the schoolhouse into the second floor of the mosque to make it easier for the children to come to school after Dhuhr, the noon prayers. Sedek's farm, which had long since passed down to his son, also named Sedek, had hired him to come work from Fajr to Dhuhr, and Abru had been drafted into the military. She taught them what she'd learned from her father about battle strategy, and they taught her how to wield a sword.

And as for Pierre, he spent his time working at Sedek's farm, and towards noon, he would be invited inside for coffee and lessons in Khaizari. He could now speak enough Khaizari to hold a basic conversation and to buy supplies from the souq. He would then try to read about Khaizari history in the library, specifically about the most historic fights against the djinns, and ask questions:

What could've been done in order to prevent this loss?

What exactly made this battle a victory?

What would've happened if this battle took place right now, with the additional help of bonesteel?

After Maghrib, Pierre and Esmaael would head home together, cook (although 'attempt to cook' was more suitable), have more coffee, and go to the townhouse to pick Meryem up. They'd walk home together and have dinner (although Dema, her brothers, and Abru were becoming more frequent dinner guests).

"You know," Abru told him one day. "I didn't exactly think the ceasefire plan would work. I expected them to attack after the first month itself. But it's been six months. I think these people finally might have an opportunity to experience peace."

"I remember the first attack we saw." Pierre recalled. "It was enough to shake me. I couldn't believe the violence and destruction that was happening right in front of us. But now, seeing how long the ceasefire has lasted, it gives me hope that maybe things can really change for the better." Abru nodded, her eyes filled with a mix of relief and cautious optimism. "Yes, it's been a difficult journey, but if this peace can hold, maybe there's a chance for healing and rebuilding."

Dewud and Belal traded cards together, old, hand-painted scraps of parchment that were foxing at the edges. Abru looked at them warmly.

"I've been thinking," she began. But whatever she had to say, it was left unspoken as Dema rushed out of the room, followed by Esmaael. She grabbed Abru's hand and led her towards the house, as Esmaael beamed at Pierre.

"Pierre, how long do you intend to stay here?" Esmaael asked.

"As long as it takes to liberate you, of course." Pierre answered, undoubtedly. Esmaael nodded, and then they heard screaming from the inside. They exchanged worried glances before rushing towards the source of the commotion, only to find Abru and Dema holding each other and jumping up and down as Meryem gave them a look of amusement.

"I can't believe this!" Abru gasped.

"What happened?" Pierre asked, looking around the room, as Esmaael chuckled silently beside him. Dema gave him a joyful look.