Hashir Kayi

Abru woke up to the sound of birds chirping outside, but found herself surrounded by complete darkness. She sighed with relief.

That was one hell of a nightmare.

She heard a door slide open behind her, allowing the morning light to shine upon her face.

None of her chambers had sliding doors.

Where was she?

She sat up from where she had been lying and glanced toward the door. Someone abruptly yanked the curtains open, flooding Abru's face with blinding light, causing her to instinctively shield her eyes.

"Salaam," greeted a woman who seemed to be just a little older than Abru. "Looks like you're finally awake."

She had dark skin and full lips. Her hair peeked out from under a chador, which covered her head and extended to her waist. It was secured under her chin with a rusty metal clip.

"Who are you?" Abru could hear her voice trembling, which probably didn't make her seem intimidating. The woman placed her hands on Abru's shoulders.

"My name is Dema." A djinn named Hashir Kayi has brought you to our village, Khaizarigarabad. You were brought here because of an old deal made by your ancestor, Bibi Arezzo, nearly a century ago. "Do you understand what I've said so far?"

Abru couldn't bring herself to nod. She barely understood anything. Instead, she stared wide-eyed at the woman.

"A djinn?" Abru whispered. She was taught to be careful when uttering the word, lest she attract the beings. A race far more ancient than humans roams the Earth, concealed from human eyes. They could shapeshift into dogs, snakes, or even humans, which explained the otherworldly aura of her captor.

Years of Islamic education had instilled a belief, and fear, of djinn in Abru, although she knew that seeing, talking to, or being possessed by a djinn was practically rare.

And yet, it was a djinn that not only dueled with her but also flew her across the ocean to an island, all in a matter of a few minutes.

"Yes." A djinn. You do know what djinns are, I assume?" Dema asked, her voice dripping with sympathy.

"Obviously," Abru scoffed.

Everyone knew what djinn were, right?

"What is this place?" Abru asked, looking around the dimly lit hut. Pots and pans occupied one corner of the room, while three bedrolls of various colors and sizes were stacked in another corner. Herbs hung from the bars across the open window, and a rusty metal box stood directly beneath it. However, the most peculiar item was the door:

It slid up from the bottom instead of sliding from left to right or swinging open on hinges.

"This is my home," Dema explained. "I live here with my brothers. Come, you have much to learn."

Dema helped her out of her kurtani and into a long, tan, straight-cut dress, similar to the abaya worn by women in Mecca during Hajj, the sacred pilgrimage observed by Muslims around the world. She then tucked her hair under a hijab, using her own worn-out clip to fasten Abru's veil.

"I don't have an extra, so you'll have to make do with this until we get to Meryem's house, I'm afraid." Dema muttered, rummaging in the box until she found a pair of black shoes. "Try these."

Abru slipped on the shoes. They were plush on the inside and embroidered with a complex geometric design in red thread. Abru thanked the woman, and they walked out of the hut.

"Esin returned with the second descendant about two hours ago," Dema said, gripping her hand as they strolled through the village. "Hashir probably expects us at the mosque by now.He'll explain why you're here and what you ought to do."