Chapter 50: It's A Man's Man's Man's World

Rhiannon

It has not been easy.

I didn't expect it to be, honestly. But it's harder than I could ever have expected.

When you're a werewolf, there's this whole life expectancy of finding your mate and living with your partner. It's what my parents had before my mother was killed and what I expected to have whenever I found my mate.

Since I spent 5 five years unmated after I turned 18, I learned how to let things go and live my life. I moved on somehow as I must. But that doesn't mean I forgot about the vacancy left in my heart.

It's impossible to forget it, honestly. It was before the 'meet and greet' and now that every single one of our pack members over 20 are mated, it's even harder.

Do you remember the day of Landon's 'accident' during training, when he came into the training center and found a warrior already marked, bonded with his mate?

It's like that. Except I don't have the same privilege as him to 'accidentally' hurt one of my colleagues because he completed the bond before me.

For one, I rejected my mate. Second, women don't get rut. We might get struck by heat, but not me since I formally rejected my mate.

In other words, I'm in this mess of my own choice. It is me who decides when I complete the bond. I'm the girl, after all. I may not know a lot, but I know I never had trouble getting men to have intercourse with me. Especially my mate, in this scenario.

I don't mean to sound regretful because I don't regret rejecting my mate.

He needed to know that is not a way to treat any women. And that NO ONE in their right mind would ever pull a "prank" like that on a widower, much less force a kiss on him. Trust me, as a woman living in a man's world, I know a thing or two about struggle.

My dad taught me that my career path would be more difficult for me because I'm a woman. It's not like there aren't any female warriors, there are. But it's a drop in the bucket.

There are maybe twenty women in a one hundred and fifty warriors force. Basically, all my patrol colleagues are men, my team leader, the under Delta - who is now my dad - and the Delta. Not to mention our Beta and Alpha, though they don't deal with me on a daily basis.

I became friends with Landon because both of us were orphans of a parent and still unmated at the time, so we bonded over our similarities. But an Alpha rarely deals with a warrior unless something is wrong.

Beta Carillon works closely with Delta Saunders or my dad. He doesn't concern himself with warriors like me unless something is wrong. It's beneath his pay grade. He is a planner. He manages the force to better protect our pack.

When I joined the force five years ago, I was assigned a patrol team and a leader. He is the one who acts as my boss on a daily basis. When I'm not patrolling the territory, I'm training in the center.

Anyway, back to my original point, all my colleagues are mated and marked. Most of them already have children of their own with mates who work as well. In this day and age, it's rare to find a partner who doesn't work - not that there's anything wrong with staying home and raising a family.

When we are patrolling in wolf form, we are focused on the task ahead. But when we're training, men talk more than women. I listen to their daily dilemmas with their mates, discussions and obviously to their bragging.

It's a room full of men. What did you expect?

They are not crass about their partners, their loved ones, but there's the occasional 'I gave it to her all night long' or 'I don't know how she walked after our weekend'. How did she walk? With her legs, homie. You're not that big! *eye roll*