Chapter 1: How it began

My story doesn't begin at a prison, nor does it begin with a dreamy blue eyed boy. It doesn't begin with a one eyed man, and it doesn't begin with a safe place I thought was home. It does however begin with Dakota. My sister, the girl who turns my story into something so much more. This is why I don't start the story of my journey in a hot prison, or in the arms of a boy who's guts I hate. It starts at the very beginning.  The day the world went to Hell. The day I stopped being McKenzie Pettite, and became monster. 

~.~.~.~.~.~

My pencil tapped to the tick of the clock as I sat with an earbud in my ear. The clock is mocking me, I know it. Purposely slowing time just to annoy me. Though I know that's not possible, and I'm just being stupid. I tapped my pencil quicker, hoping it would speed the clock as well. It didn't.

    "Ms. Mallard do you mind?" Great. Just my luck, my stupid science teacher stopped talking and glared at me. Now don't get me wrong, I love science, my teachers just a poop brain that's all. He's very creepy, the fact that he teachers fourth grade is creepier. Who in their right mind would teach us? We're evil.

    "Sorry Mr. Bel." I shrug. I always hated him. He's to perverted for his own good, yet still all the girls in elementary school fall all over him even though he's like, 36. He looked young enough I suppose, but nothing attractive, with slightly balding blonde hair and strange wolf shirts, it's amazing he managed to get a wife at all.

    "Is that an earbud Ms. Mallard?" He scoffed, "In my classroom?" He ran his fingers through his hair, probably pulling some out. "You better take that earbud out right now young lady."

    "But I-"

    "Now." I mumbled the worst words I know and ripped out my earbuds, shoving them in my pocket along with my phone. He nodded and continued to go on and on about helium and hydrogen and crap like that. Meanwhile, I was too busy zoning out. I repeatedly brushed my brown hair behind my ear and my eyes darted around the class, trying to keep them away from the very thing that's driving me insane.

    The clock. It's face stares back at me, as the second hand ticks by endlessly. Tick tock Tick tock.

    Finally the bell rang to go home. My sister Dakota is in the lower grades, I have to go pick her up. I quickly through all my stuff in my backpack and sprint out the door along with everyone else. I end up jogging down the hall to my sister, who's five, and in kindergarten

   Dakota is standing in the doorway of her classroom. "Hi McKenzie." she chirps and grabs my hand. "Guess what? I drew you a picture!" She looked up at me with wide blue eyes. Her eyes resembled mine in many ways, in color and shape but other than that only our face shape is similar. The two of us are opposites. Laughing, I took the picture. It was of the both of us. We were poorly drawn stick figures holding hands in a meadow. I hug her, picking her up and holding her on my hip in the process. "I love it." I folded up the picture and placed it in my satchel that I take with me everywhere.

    When we got outside, cars were rushing the opposite direction as we were going and by the time we got to our house, the neighborhood was almost empty except for a few houses. I sat Dakota down by the door but kept my free arm around her to keep her close to me. Why was everyone leaving? I reached into my bag to get my keys. I fumbled for a moment, but then got the door open. Only to find the one thing I never thought I would.

    Our parents corpses, mauled and torn to shreds by lord knows what. Panic flooded me. I couldn't seem to move. Dakota screamed when she saw. I hastily  placed my hand over her mouth and pulled her to the side. "Dakota" I whispered, "they could still be in the house." Tears were flooding her eyes, as they were mine. I kept Dakota looking in the opposite direction of our parents and I held in a sob.