chapter two

Dawson. Dawson...

The air around Rose became warm and stuffy. Unbearable. She almost felt as though she would choke and suddenly, she was reversing until the backs of her knees hit the large bed, almost forcing her to sit down.

‘’Yes, he asked for your presence, discreetly. He came to the door, Miss.’’

“My presence?” She whispered so low that Trudy couldn’t even hear. Her hands clutched at the crumpled bed sheets beneath her body as though she was trying to grip reality. The hairs at the back of her neck seemed to stand on end, as though something eerie had taken place. Perhaps it had. She felt the goose bumps down her arms as though a tender finger had just run down her spine.

“He appeared to have followed you earlier this evening to discover the whereabouts of your stateroom. “

‘'But I never saw...’’ Rose tried to recall just how she had left him out on the decks as Cal had placed his arms about her shoulders to lead her back inside. Mr. Lovejoy had been called back for a cigarette, or so she believed and then it had been some minutes later that he had arrived back to the sitting room to ensure that Rose was safe before he had retired for the evening. ‘’I never saw him return this way.’’

Rose exhaled slowly and silently. Her heart was beating the fastest it ever had. Suddenly, the melancholia she had experienced for months of her life seemed to have momentarily lifted and it was replaced by something else. A need. A strong buzz in her body. Adrenaline. It seemed to spark her to life but also violently rob her of breath. Her lips parted dryly, but nothing seemed to come out of them. As though she had stopped breathing for some unknown reason.

“I need some air.” She spluttered, placing the back of her right hand across her lips. ‘’Trudy, help me dress, quickly and simply.’’

‘’Yes, Miss.’’ Trudy curtseyed right away, knowing better than to advise her stay indoors at this hour. She went to the large dresser and opened it, greeted by a hundred beautifully beaded dresses. Not one of them would be comfortable to wear at this hour. Was she about to go out to see him? This was absurd, wasn’t it? And she had the audacity to call him crazy. She almost wished to laugh at herself.

‘’I struggle to see a simple frock, Miss. Rose. What is the occasion?’’

‘’I am to go up on decks.’’ The words fell from her mouth before she could refrain. In her own mind, Rose knew that her curiosity would kill her. He had followed her. Why did her stomach sink so much when she thought of a stranger? A stranger who had saved her life. Talked her out of taking her own life. Was she so intent on ending her life so young to start with? She didn’t know the answer to that. No one did. But he had still ensured that she was safe. That she was at the right side of the rail even after he had taken a tumble backwards to get her over and she had fallen, first atop him and then he had twisted so that she was below him and together they had shivered and trembled upon the decks just for several seconds before Quartermaster Rowe had found them there, tangled in such a heap that it appeared he had put his hands upon her.

‘’Miss, is that a good idea? The chill is terrible--’' Trudy started, but Rose interrupted her, abruptly.

‘’I will need a heavy coat and hat.’’ She ordered with fiery determination. The melancholia seemed to have vanished into thin air for the time being. Thoughts of her tryst with Cal seemed to disappear along with her care. Her heart was beating fast, for the first time in an age and it must mean something. It had to. She felt alive. Crazy, herself.