EARLY BOARDING

Josephine pov

I arrived earlier than any other passenger on the Titanic. Even earlier than my brother I suppose, who was supposed to pick me up at the dock. So much, that the docking men are trying to get me to leave. ''Now, miss! The Titanic isn't boarding yet! The ship doesn't leave for another day.'' I roll my eyes and go past him onto the boarding walk. I'm clearly getting nowhere with this man. Even it being an hour of arguing. He grabs my wrist tightly. I let out an audible gasp.

''Let go of me! I was invited by my brother, first officer Charles Lightoller! I am his sister. Now let me go!'' He looks at me in bored disbelief.

''Yes, yes. Let's go. I'm phoning the police.'' He starts to drag me away and I plant my feet. He pulls. Nothing. His grip gets tighter. I nearly give but stay firm as his nails dig into my skin. He pulls again. Nothing again!

''Charles! Damn it, Charles Lightoller!''

''What did I- Oi! Let her go! Now!'' Charles orders. The man drops his hand and I cradle my stinging hand in my other hand. I take my bag and walk up the walk and wait as he deals with the man.

Once he's done, he walks over to me and brings me in. ''I'm sorry, Josie. The walk-through took longer than expected. Let me introduce you to everyone and then we can get that hand situated.''

''Okay.'' I say. He takes me to the officers who are all doing their own things.

''Officers, I would like to introduce you to my sister, Josephine. Josie, this is Second Officer David Blair, Third Officer Herbert Pitman, Fourth Officer Joseph Boxhall, Fifth Officer Harold Lowe, and Sixth Officer James Moody.'' I look at all the men, all of them watching me. As I'm about to turn to Charles, the Captain walks in.

''Officer Lightoller. I need your help with your sister's first class cabin. But first, I need to see you and Officers Murdoch and Blair.''

''Yes, captain. Officer Lowe. Can you help get my sister get ice, please?'' Officer Lowe looks up at my brother and stands up from the chair he was sitting in. He walks over to us, nodding his head and tips his hat to me politely. ''I'll see you at your suite.'' Charles tells me before going with the Captain and two other officers.

"Ready?" Officer Lowe asks with a somewhat thick Welsh accent. I nod with a polite smile. He leads the way down the hall. "How'd that happen?" He asks, a type of curiosity filling his voice.

"I was waiting for Charles but he was late and I was stuck arguing with a man that works at the dock, and he grabbed my wrist and kept tightening his grip when I tried to get away," I looked at my wrist, now seeing little speckles of red liquid. "Now I'm bleeding. Wonderful." I say the end sarcastically. He stops and carefully picks up my hand.

"Good thing I'm already taking you to the infirmary. Mary should be getting ready." He says. I follow him down the stairs and through more hallways. "What's it like being Officer Lightoller's sister?"

"Kind of boring to be honest. He's never around much for anything to be exciting. Most days, I stay around Sylvia. His wife. But that's why he invited me. So I can see him more."

"Ah."

"What about you, Officer Lowe? Got any adventure in your life?" He gains a soft, genuine smile.

"I guess you can say that."

"Like what?"

"I sailed on a boat before that carried loads of animals, I believe that was the SS Bonnie. Another time, when I was young, during a big storm, I went with friends on my father's boat and we went so far out, a rescue boat was sent out. They stopped next to us and I said, 'hey, what takes you out here?" I smile at the stories.