Chapter 65

"You're kidding right?" I deadpanned, a chuckle leaving my lips at absurdity

"What do you think, Mea?" Zade scowled softly.

I don't know if he's irritated or angry or what not but I'm damn sure in the walk of fifteen minutes he is losing all his remaining few brain cells by my presence.

"I -'' I stopped dead in my tracks. I don't know what I am afraid of. It's just a simple task. To jump in well and then go through tunnels hell knows how freakishly long it is and then wait in the basement.

Zade had mentioned that guards on duty take leave at three in the night and then they were examined for check up and all shit. They would start their shift at exactly four thirty in morning.

We have one and half an hour to get the damn ugly old hag out before everyone get back in shift. I have suggested that maybe we can just blow up the place and take that old hag out, it will be too easy but this stupid idiot said NO.

I bet he just like people following him around and giving them orders.

I sighed, maybe he is right. We don't want more attention. It'll be good to lay low and finish in silence then go all batshit chaotic.

Who knows what's waiting inside.

I look back at him. The soft orange hue of the setting sun casting his eyes in beautiful shade. They soften up.

"What's wrong?" He asked, gently.

I flustered under this gaze and avoid looking in his eyes.

Jeez when did I become so scared and anxious?

"Nothing." I shook my head and took two deep breaths to calm my racing nerves.

"Let's do this'' I grip the edge of well, looking down in the endless darkness. The shiver courses through my spine. I wasn't afraid to say exactly.

It's just the thought of going down there and in dark basements and tunnels, it reminds me of the past I want to forget. I don't know how I became anxious of darkness but after seeing the light of the world I don't wanna go back down there again. Ever.

I would rather choose to die than step there and let my demons win.

His hand wrapped around my arm, shifting me to face him. He stayed fairly far away yet I can feel the heat of his gaze.

"Tell me" his soft plea urged me to tell him.

"I just don't want to go back there" I mumbled, shaking my head at the absurdity of my own fear.

For a moment there was silence. Only the birds chirping in dead end forest and crickets crinkling in air remain.

"I know" he heaves. "It's hilarious how we try to forget our past, the past which makes us, us. The way we're now. We thread through it and no Matter how much we try, we have to carry it in our bones." His words cut through the air deeply. He is right.