Prologue

The war was brutal, as wars always were; too many grudges and skirmishes, too many innocent lives claimed. This was a cold, hard fact ingrained in each soldier's mind as they swarmed the enemy like a massive hivemind.

All for justice, all for the greater good. (M/N) repeated in his head every night, sometimes, not even believing it himself. It was hard to think he was doing the right thing when he slaughtered and maimed his enemies at every second he could.

The only thing keeping him from complete mania was the thought that the Archon War was drawing to a close, its winners swiftly decided with the battles that every new dawn had to offer. Well, that was one of the only two things keeping him sane.

"My lord," (M/N) said, appearing silently in the cloudy domain and bowing. This was his one source of tranquility among the bloodshed, a little world stuffed in a tea kettle where he and his god currently stood.

"Please," sighed the tall figure in front of him, standing up and removing his hood, revealing a set of dazzling golden horns snaking around his head, "I told you that calling me Morax is just fine."

Morax (or Rex Lapis), the god of the earth and contracts, now appeared in all his glory. Among the Archons that survived, he was the oldest and one of the strongest, quickly earning him a slot in the 'victors' section of the war.

At times, he assumed the shape of a dragon, brown and sleek with golden hair, other times, he was in a more human-like shape, the only thing distinguishing him from the mortals being his arms which glowed gold like embers, embroidered with symbols and scales.

If not either of those, he opted for a shape in between, as he was currently. Donning a hood with flowing strands, he adopted some of his dragon features like his great, swishing tail and horns, along with–(M/N) assumed–his fangs and forked tongue.

"My apologies, Lord Morax," (M/N) amended, straightening up to meet the gaze of the Archon. He smiled, a legitimate smile, as he walked to place himself next to Morax and the wrought stone table, finally having the pleasure of relaxing, even if only for a little bit.

At the time being, (M/N) was the commanding general of the Geo Archon's army, strategizing and leading the offence while others like Guizhong and the adepti lead in the background, providing support in spots he couldn't cover.

He considered it a great honour to be where he was and found importance in the role. However, Rex Lapis considered him to be something more.

Morax was known to be one of the colder, less approachable gods, holding a fierce reputation across Teyvat. Despite the rumours and legends, he, in fact, considered himself to be caring and, sometimes, even benevolent (but that was probably only towards (M/N)).

All this to say that the great Geo Archon actually quite liked (M/N) and considered him to be a trustworthy and valuable ally and friend, perhaps even more than just a friend. The two had formed bonds long before the war and their friendship and trust had bore fruit by becoming an important asset on the battlefield.

(M/N) sat down across from Morax who retook his own seat, humming slightly as he poured himself a cup of tea. Rather odd as some may call it, but the two liked to meet up regularly in this domain to catch up and report back to each other, like a bubble away from reality.

"How goes your side of the battlefield?" Asked Morax, sipping his tea and crossing his leg over his knee. He was always like this, unchanging and still, like the land which he represented.

"Bloody," replied (M/N), closing his eyes as he tried to get the image of gore and violence out of his mind, "but we're making headway. We've had a few close shaves, but it looks like victory will be yours if we continue at this pace."