Ch. 5 Promises

3rd POV 

(Mia: Guys, just let me sleep. I'll pick it up tomorrow morning around breakfast time. Good night!)

~2 am ~

The west winds of the evening swayed the wheat fields in a gentle dance. Long after the sun disappeared, the barren countryside orchestrated the songs of crickets and the soft rustling of the stalks to echo into the night.

However, the usual gentle drumming sounded deeper and steadier invoking small tremors to awaken the earth and nature itself. A delicate fragrance of jasmine and lily pollinated the fields in an enchanting aroma, overwhelming the organic scent of the flowers residing there. Increasingly, the dark blue hues of the night sky transmuted into a shimmering arctic blue easily fooling the countryside into thinking that dawn had emerged much earlier.

Soft chiffon trailed and blanketed the black pavement as long slender legs strolled down the empty obsidian street, slowing down just enough to search out into the nothingness of the after-hours. The lone streetlamp made itself present in the distance ultimately lighting the path toward and revealing the little gray house.

The wind picked up again, stirring dark blond locks and dried newly released tears that streamed down a relieved delicate face, now equipped with the knowledge that within that house are her children awaiting their mom to take them home. The giantess allowed a pent-up breath to fly from her pink lips and hoped that she could contain her excitement.

Taking extra care not to disrupt their sleep, she tiptoed just close enough to approach the house without rattling it too much and see if her children were safe. And that was all. Even if she wanted to stay to watch them sleep, she'd have to turn around and head home before her husband woke up and find her gone.

"It's just this one time..." Vivian muttered delicately to herself, nervously studying the house. "...only a little peek."

The home's roof reached up just past the giantess' knees, so she needed to crouch down to look through the window. Taking a delicate hand, she carefully placed it on the roof, reminding herself not to apply too much weight, and leaned in as close as she could to the window to look inside.

Sapphire eyes swept the room, but Vivian was unable to identify either Mia or Casey. She pulled away and pondered for a moment. If she recalled, Zachary had this home designed and built with specific features. It supposedly could open up like that of a little girl's dollhouse so that it would be easier to help the children move their things once the time came to take them home.

Vivian adjusted her light blue dress so it wouldn't get caught on the small, pointed stakes of the white picket fence. Once she found a position where she could explore the outside, she went to work and ran delicate fingertips around the roof borders to feel for the locking mechanism and open the rooftop. It should've been held by two slide latches on either side, it just took some finessing and patience.

She could hardly wait! A small triumphant grin stretched on her pale face once she located each latch. Determination was now in full control, seizing the reigns over her logic and better judgment.

Maybe she should wait...

But she and Zachary had been waiting for so long to finally have their family and now they're within her reach. It didn't take her long to find the latches on either side and figure out how to unlock the mechanism without stirring the house so much.

The children were not aware that their adopted parents are giants.

No, it didn't matter! That wasn't important. What mattered was that her children were right there, without their parents, alone and probably frightened. They needed her warmth and comfort, not to mention Zachary's protection.