vi. after the spotlight ends || taennie

Although Jennie and Taehyung are famous idols, what happens after the spotlight ends belong solely to the two of them.

Sometimes, Jennie thinks she was a cat in her past life

She craves cuddles and body warmth but not just anybody's. Like a cat that recognizes and loves its owner, she only wants Taehyung's solid warmth and weight atop her body. And like a cat that never leaves its human companion's side, she never, ever wants to leave his side. If she could, she would cling to him for the rest of her life.

Jennie blames her cat-like tendencies on the fact that Taehyung is late coming back from a dance practice scheduled to end at 8pm. An hour late with no contact usually doesn't send her into a fit of panic, but their private lives have been so stressful after their relationship was revealed two weeks ago, she can't help but worry. Bitter tabloids, stalkers, unpleasant fans, and nagging agencies: in the cutthroat entertainment industry, if any of those tragedies occur, the internet always finds out first.

And that thought scares her.

The sound of his voice pulls Jennie back to the present.

Her TV is playing an old episode of the two of them on a variety show called the Return of Superman. For years leading up to this episode, they have been close friends. It wasn't until after they went out for barbeque after a long day of filming that everything changed.

"I bet I can eat more meat than you," Jennie teased, a devious smile lighting up her face. They were both competitive, a trait that carried them through their trainee days, and thus liked to participate in fun and harmless games.

Most of Taehyung's face was covered by a cap, but she didn't need to see his face to know he was the exact mirror of her. "There's no way you can eat more than me." He stuffed meat into his mouth and groaned. "I'm starved. Today's shoot was too long."

She copied him and closed her eyes in bliss. "I definitely can beat you. I had a three hour dance practice before the show."

Fueled by sheer determination and will, they stuffed meat into their mouths like the world was going to end by the end of the hour. Besides the sizzle of meat shearing in oil and the clanking of dishes in the back, the restaurant was quiet and had no other customers. It was their favorite time of the day, and both of them cherished these few moments of calm and peace like they had been presented with pots of gold.

When they finished, they stumbled out of the restaurant, leaning on each other and skipping down the dimly lit alley. In Yerim's mind, they were the montage in a film, drunk on the meat in their bellies and the serotonin pumping through their blood. Thankfully, the restaurant was in the outskirts of Busan, so nobody was around to hear their raucous laughter and sarcastic remarks. It was only them and the moon shining high and bright in the night sky.

"I won." Taehyung looped an arm around her shoulder and tugged her close. "I definitely won."

Jennie laughed, adjusting his cap so she could better see his face. "You won by one piece of meat only!"