16 Cherry Lane-Lockwood

"Hey, could you maybe not hit every pothole?!?!"

The cab driver drove like an idiot. He hit every bump on the road and was so jerky. I swear he was doing it on purpose. I could see him role his eyes in the rearview mirror. Jerk.

Settling back in my seat I glanced over at Lucy. She smiled at me to reassure but I was still concerned. "You doing ok?"

"Lockwood, I'm fine. Honestly, I'm glad to be out of the house." She looked out the window and rubbed her left knee. She said the ghost touch ended at her knee. She was getting better. This morning she could lift her leg completely. The muscles were just frozen still.

When we pulled up to the hospital Lucy began to act nervous. She was very touchy about hospitals, most Listeners are. For the same reason I don't look at the floor while in the waiting room. Way too much death for one building.

I got out of the cab first and opened the door for her. She looked up at me. "How are we going to do this?"

"Same way we do at home." I leaned down and scooped her up. She wrapped her arm around my neck. She grimaced.

"I can go a wheelchair from inside," I offered, tightening my hold on her.

"They make me feel so weak." Then she glanced down at her lap. "Not that this is much different." I walked up the steps from the street to the square in front of the hospital.

"Hey, we have time. We can walk around here for a bit." She was always a bit stiff after sitting for a long time, like she just had.

"Ok." She took a deep breath and I slowly let her legs down. She still had an arm around me shoulders. I held her tightly as she rested her full weight on her legs. She gave me a nod that she was balanced, and I ran down to the waiting cab. I paid and grabbed the crutches. She tucked them under her arms. But I stood close.

"Ok," I coached. "One leg at a time."

Slowly, she lifted her right foot and set it down in front of her other. Her brow furrowed in concentration.

"You've got this, Luce. C'mon, one more step."

She wobbled slightly and I grabbed the back of her jacket. "Lockwood, I-"

"Oh hello Mr. Anthony Lockwood!" We were interrupted by someone with a very sing-song voice. I turned my head. It was Megan.

"Hello." I grunted. And turned my attention back to Lucy but she was staring at her feet with an odd expression.

Now Megan was in front of us. Blocking our way to the front doors. "My, you're looking sharp today, Mr. Lockwood! You always know how to dress like a gentleman. Not like some young men nowadays." She smiled brightly at me and then apparently noticed Lucy for the first time. I don't know how she didn't notice her first. The whole bandaged leg and crutches are hard to miss. Probably why Megan worked at the Furnace and not as an active agent. She wouldn't be very good on a case. "Oh and it's dear Lucy? How are you?"

Lucy didn't even look up so I answered for her. "We're just going for a quick appointment. You probably didn't he-"

"Oh but I did!" She squealed. "It's all anyone can talk about." Unfortunately, I seriously doubted many people cared what happened at our home. "You saved Lucy's life, again. So heroic. Why Lucy," She laughed loudly, "You really must learn to take sources to the furnace where they belong."

Lucy turned red. I didn't get why Megan was being so hostile. I'd almost say she was trying to provoke Lucy. But I couldn't imagine why. No one who knew Lucy would purposefully provoke her. "I don't know where you heard all that-" I began but Megan cut me off again.