The Other Me

Jamack had always been a bachelor. That's how he liked it. Until Lyra started messing things up with her talks of settling down, and family. She was getting soft. At least that's what he told himself. But deep down, the thought of having a family and settling down made him feel old. He knew he was getting older of course, but he just wasn't ready to feel that way. He would play her words off as just talk, or playful banter, but could it be that it's really what she wanted? Those were his last thoughts before drifting off that night in his bachelor pad. 

When he woke up the next morning, the air felt lighter. It was as though it was easier to breathe. Could it be the benefits of him quitting smoking were starting to kick in? But he also felt a little light headed. Perhaps it was a bit too easy to breathe. He also noticed that the air smelled different. The most striking aroma was a new perfume he wasn't quite used to. He had women over from time to time but he couldn't remember inviting anyone to sleep with him the night before. The only person who seemed to let herself in was Lyra and this surely wasn't her scent. 

Then, another unmistakable sense, the feeling of a woman's body moving in the covers, beginning to rub against him. When he turned around and gently pulled down the covers from her face, what he saw made his heart sink down into his toes and his face go pale. It was Kipo. But no...no he would never do that. He watched Kipo grow up from age 13! He helped her fight in the war. He was her mentor and friend and uncle to their young child, Jaime. How could he? He'd definitely made some mistakes in the past but to do this with Kipo? To sleep around with her? He had so much respect for Kipo. It felt like a violation. He cared about her too much to let this happen. No amount of alcohol or high could make him do this to her, to their family. He did love her. Of course he did! But he was not in love with her and he could never use her like that. He began to feel like an absolute scumbag. 'Think Jamack!' he urged himself, cold sweating. 'It's probably not that! She probably ended up over here because of something else. Just ask her okay? Don't jump to these wild assertions!'

Then, something else happened that shook his faith in himself even more. She began pressing up against him and he could feel the nakedness under her satin robe. He began cold sweating from his forehead and palms. 

"Good morning Jamack" she whispered into his ear. 

"Kipo...are you alright?" he said, gently clasping her hands into his, which prevented her from getting any closer. "Please don't tell me this is what I think it is. Look, I obviously don't remember what happened last night, but think about your family!" 

She looked at him with the most perplexed look he'd ever seen. Then he felt her press her warm-blooded hand against his forehead. It was soothing. "Jamack, are you feeling alright?"

"I feel fine" he said, taking her hand and once again moving her away from him. "Are you fine?"

"What's gotten into you today? Don't you mean our family?" she said "I smelled brandy on your breath last night. How strong was it?" 

"OUR WHAT?" he said, unable to compose himself. He noticed the two of them were not seeing eye to eye. The thought made him realize that he had to keep his composure in order to find out what was really going on here. Something just felt uncanny about the atmosphere. So, he tried his best to relax. 

"Jamack, you'll wake up the kids" she checked her watch "10:00am, hmm, I guess we slept in. Maybe they're up already." 

"I..." Jamack gasped at the realization of what she just said. 'Kids?'

"Come on, let's go downstairs and check up on them. Unless you want to have a quickie first." She kissed his cheek, making his already large eyes double in size. He couldn't help but blush.