It Never Ends Well - (Across the spider-verse) One Shot

“In every other universe, Gwen Stacy falls for Spider-Man. And in every other universe, it doesn’t end well.”

“Well, there’s a first time for everything, right?”

Unlike every incarnation of Peter Parker around the multiverse and the web of life itself, Miles Morales had never known the real fate of the love between Gwen Stacy and Spider-Man.

The ill-fated strand of destiny braided for either her downfall or his. The eternal suffering of losing her by a weak rope, a broken neck; or to lose him because of her secrets.

And it’s not like Miles ever cared about some dumb stuff unrelated to his universe. He was in love with Gwen, he knew it from the moment he saw her on the hallways. He craved her company. And everyone knew how much he had missed her. He wasn’t letting that chance slip from his fingers. Different universes? Blah, that wasn’t going to stop him… right?

Not a secret spider-society. Not her new “friend” Hobie. Not her secrets…

Nothing but her own betrayal. And Peter B. Parker as well.

In the infinite ocean of canon and probabilities shown to him by Miguel O'Hara, he beheld the death of his uncle Aaron and his father, Jeff Davis. A stupid rule followed by every single Spiderperson in the room. To accept the deaths of the people they loved without even trying to stop them. His uncle's death? Not his choice, not any of the Peters —or his variants' choice. Sometimes their own fault, sometimes just his Parker's luck. But everyone were acting like hypocrites, like if they weren't willing to save the ones they most cared about.

Ask Gwen if she would let her father to just... die?

Ask Peter B. Parker if he would let Mayday die without giving a fight?

Miguel O'Hara didn't catch a breath while he insulted, denigrated and clawed him, allowing all his rage and resentment to be poured against his body. But even that didn't matter to Miles, not the vampire-spider calling him a mistake, an error, trying to guilt-trip him because of a death he had long forgiven himself for, the Peter Parker of his universe. Who died protecting him and if Miles would've had the powers to, he would've saved him without hesitation.

He wasn't hurt... not until Peter B. Parker urged Miguel to stop, because that wasn't what they had agreed to do. Not to chase him, attack him or put him down. Because they already knew... they knew it all along. They both had the chance to explain it to him, to visit him... to simply stay by his side so he could have a decision about the fate of his father. His OWN father. The man who raised him, loved him and was his mother's rock. The love of her life. How could he ever face his mother without doing anything about it? How could they look at him in the eyes and shamelessly lie by omission.

“Everyone keeps telling me how my story’s supposed to go. Nahh. Imma do my own thing.”

The word disappointment wasn't just enough to describe the cluster of feelings inside of Miles. Exploding and tearing him apart inside out. The glimpses of Gwen and Peter's glances. Sadness. Regret. Shame. The piercing look of dejection in his almond shaped eyes. His hands shaking with the venom strike he destabilized Miguel with, and then, the bit of a smile on Gwen's face after Miles had defeated him. A smile after what she had done? A long breath after watching how Miguel was smacking him to the point of no return? What an irony. They both were happy that he was safe and sound... when they did nothing to stop him.

His mentor and the girl he... he loved had betrayed him. The ones he gave his heart and soul to. After everything they went through together. Everything that now was falling apart at the seams. Everything that one word of Miguel O'Hara had taken away from him.

But he didn't have the time to be sad about it, did he?

The spot was still a menace. And he needed to stop him for good.

They both created each other. Foe vs hero. If a showdown was what he wanted, he would gladly deliver.

What he had to do first, was to leave this condemned place, to never come back. To never see them again. To be far away from this spider-people and seal their ill-fated outcome. To liberate his father from his fate, breaking the circle once and for all.

“Goodbye, Gwen.”

Maybe Gwen was right after all. Maybe they were destinated to a devastating end too.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Well, hello hello hellooo!!!

This isn't my first time posting here but I just ended up deleting my previous 1st story... anyway, I'm posting this here because yesterday Ao3 was collapsing and I got afraid because I didn't have some of my writings downloaded. So, to be safe, I'm leaving it here.

Who didn't love Across the spider-verse??? Who didn't love the colors, the vibrations, the story itself and the relatable characters they gave us, vulnerability and rage. Duty before anything else.

🎉 You've finished reading 🕸 I̶t̶ ̶N̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶E̶n̶d̶s̶ ̶W̶e̶l̶l̶ 🕸 (Across the spider-verse) ONE-SHOT 🎉