Chapter 6

Steady.

Calm.

Breathe.

You rapped on the door. Once. Twice. Thrice.

Maybe this was a mistake.

What if he doesn't like the way you look?

Don't be ridiculous.

But what if?

Stop.

Breathe.

Calm.

Steady.

There's the latch.

He's on the other side.

Go time, girl.

Easy.

Steady.

Breathe.

Breathe.

Breathe.

Mirio's bright face lit up more when he saw you at this hour.

"Hi Patches!" He greeted quietly, yet enthusiastically. "What can I do for you?"

You rubbed your arm with your opposite hand, successfully raising your chest slightly as you did so. Thank the heavens the tracksuits at school had such flattering cuts on all figures.

"Can I come in?" You said softly, giving a small smile. Mirio stepped aside and held the door open for you as you entered.

Mirio Toogata, the embodiment of sunshine and happiness had a remarkably...unremarkable room. It was quite average overall; a large bed swathed in deep blue covers in the centre of the back wall by the window. Two small bedside drawers held their posts on either side of the headrest. A set of dumbbells and oversized weights, polished and glinting in lamp light where your bookshelf would be, a small desk in the exact same position as yours, and across the room was a dresser where your bed would be. His desk was cluttered with books haphazardly stacked on top of it, one open and dog-eared with lines of highlighted text on display. On top of the dresser was a small figure of All Might flexing his biceps in a power pose, and a frame housing a picture of him with an older gentleman that possessed the same facial features as he did. There was little difference between them; the other man's hair was a deep black and sported a sharper nose, while his son's was that canary yellow you were so accustomed to, and topped with a cute button nose. Together, they both shared those same beautiful blue eyes. You picked the photo up to study it, smiling a little at how happy they both looked; Mirio flashing the peace sign and his dad grinned with a smile that rivaled the one your crush could make. You almost forgot Mirio had his own ponytail when he first entered high school. He worked it well.

"Pops was always afraid of our quirk." Mirio chimed in, peeking over your shoulder. "He was over the moon when I was accepted."

"Afraid?" You questioned, setting the frame back down in its position.

"Yeah. One wrong move and we could split in half."

You blanched at how casually he mentioned his own possible demise. You couldn't fathom a quirk that would try to harm its own user; not while you possessed one that did everything it naturally could to heal itself.

"I didn't know that could happen." You admitted quietly, humbled by the information.

"Honestly, I forget that it can happen as well." He said with a shrug. "It's second nature to me these days."