PROLOGUE

spring - 2013

spring - 2013

I trace my fingers over the delicate photo frame, me sat between my parents. I sigh, knowing my smile in all my childhood photographs is forced. My eyes start to burn as they dry up, the pain I've endured through my parents abuse overwhelming my thoughts, but I try my best to ignore it. I swing my rucksack over my shoulder, grabbing the handle of my suitcase quietly dragging it to the doorway to leave the house as quietly as I can, not wanting to wake up my mother and father. I don't leave a note, I don't leave anything. I grab my keys from my leather jacket pocket and unlock my jeep as I step outside the front door. I lift the boot, throwing my suitcase and rucksack into it and making my way to the driver's side.

I get in and I drive straight to the airport. "Owen Grady." I whisper to myself, remembering the name of the man I'm supposed to be meeting in the airport. I dodge all the early London traffic, putting my foot down when I break onto the motorway to the airport. I sing to music on the radio, ignoring my phone as it blows up. I glance down every now and again to make sure it's not Masrani or someone else of new importance in my life, only to see that it's my parents. Why do they even care?

-

As I make my way into the terminal, I look for the man in the picture. The ex-navy seal. I spot the man with stubble sat in the lounge area, reading a book. "Owen Grady?" I ask as I stand beside him. He nods, folding a page in his book and standing up.

He looks at me, up and down, "What are you? 12?" His American accent rolls off his tongue, I roll my eyes at his comment. I have not sat and completed a thousand courses online to get this job and be treated like a child.

"Sixteen, actually. Now can we go?" I ask, he nods, raising an eyebrow as me. He takes my rucksack from my hand and we get checked in through security, my suitcase already on the plane, or being loaded onto the plane I guessed.

I gasp as they announce the plane, the gate being announced as the private, VIP section, and I see a little private jet in the boarding place for our plane. "Masrani's rich." I mumble, Owen chuckles at my comment. I think I could possibly like this guy, he seems pretty chill. "What about my car?" I ask, remembering that I had handed my keys to the worker that had asked for them.

Owen casually says, "Masrani's having it directly shipped to Isla Nubla, it'll be there as soon as possible." He tells me, "Although you'll probably get provided a better car or mode of transport on the island. It'll be difficult driving your shitty little jeep around the roads over there." I frown in disappointment as he basically just calls my car a bag of shit.

"Hey!" I exclaim, "My car is not a bag of shit. I'll drive whatever I want to." I cross my arms, following him as we board the plane, us being the inly two passengers boarding.

-

I smirk as the flight attendant walks down the wide aisle, his eyes dance over mine. Surely he's not old enough to be doing this? I think to myself. I stand up to go to the bathroom, following the attendant to the back of the plane. "Has anyone ever told you you're very pretty?" I blush at him, his Australian accent and his blue eyes captivating me.