Chapter 23: Fear for the Future

*THAT SAME MOMENT. SANDRA'S ROOM*

****Sandra's POV****

I cleaned my hair with a white towel, my mind wandering through various thoughts. My conversation with Benedicta had made me think dearly of someone long lost. My mother.

I had inherited her Psychic Talent according to Amara, but unfortunately, I was never able to meet her. My Innate Talent was the closest thing I had to remember her.

I shook my head, sighing slightly. I wasn't gonna let these thoughts ruin my day. I stood up, wrapping my hair with another white towel. Just as I was about to take off the white robe I had on however, I heard a persistent bark at the other side of my door.

'Apollo?'

I frowned. Why was Benedicta's dog barking so loudly? It seemed....troubled.

I headed for the door, opening it to meet the little white dog barking close to my feet.

"Apollo, what's wrong?" I asked.

Ever since Benedicta started feeding the dog the potions given to her by Amara, the dog had been showing clear signs of heightened intelligence. That included the ability to perfectly understand English.

Apollo replied me by barking again, before nodding his head towards Benedicta's room door down the hallway.

"Is...is something wrong with Benedicta?" I asked with hesitation, fearing for the worst.

Apollo barked again, nodding his head to say "yes". All Mother, have mercy! What sorta trouble has she gotten herself into this time? I knew I should've bathed her myself.

I rushed for Benedicta's door, leaving Apollo who barked behind me, trying to catch up. Reaching her room door, I forced it open, but paused abruptly, gasping in shock and terror at the sight before me.

"By the gods! My baby!" I screeched.

Benedicta was on the floor, jerking sporadically while gasping and squealing for breath. I watched as her flesh peeled off and reattached themselves in a seemingly endless loop. The white of her bones were even visible in some parts of her arm, and a pool of her own blood surrounded her.

"Benedicta! Benedicta, stay with me!" I didn't even hesitate for more than a couple seconds before rushing to her side, kneeling as I held her bloody arm.

I was now lost on what to do. It was clear that she was going through a Mana Pool Breakthrough, but I had never in my life seen such a horrid breakthrough. I could however, use a healing spell on her, and hope for the best.

I closed my eyes, trying my best to concentrate and using all my will to ignore my own daughter's silent squeals and yelps of pain. She couldn't even scream because she didn't have the strength to. That wasn't a good sign at all!

I placed both my palms on her head, my eyes opening up slowly. I witnessed my palms glowing with a bright blue light as I channeled Mana for the spell I had in mind.

About two seconds later, the bright blue light on my palms spread and enveloped Benedicta's body, covering up the managerie of injuries on her body. However, no matter how much I put my concentration and will on the spell, it just couldn't heal the wounds faster than they appeared.

'Shit! What's the use of being so powerful if I can't even cast a proper spell to save my own daughter's life?!'

For the first time in a long time, I actually felt regret that I hadn't put focus on learning magic. Though I had more Mana than even Amara, it was almost non useful when I didn't have the skills to utilize it to it's fullest.