Chapter Six

After driving all day, we reached Carlsbad, New Mexico. We stopped at the local inn as the sun dipped behind the horizon and the neon displays in the local shops started to glow. Andy walked into the lobby, and requested three rooms. He paid in cash, and got the keys from the slightly stunned receptionist.

“Here’s your key, Alice and Krista.” He handed me a key ring with a small bronze key and a blue plastic card that read 117-Carlsbad Hometown Inn.

“Yours, Jake and Ashley.” He handed a set of keys to Ashley.

“And CC, Jinxx, and I shall share a room.” He said, holding the final key.

“Let’s get cleaned up and go find dinner. I’m starving!” CC moaned.

Ashley and Jinxx helped Krista and I get our trunks into our room.

“Oh look, we’re next door neighbors, Alice.” Ashley said, a glint in his eye. He held up his key, and the card read 118.

I grinned. “Nice. Now we’re gonna get cleaned up, we’ll meet y’all out by the car in thirty minutes.”

Ashley and Jinxx left. “I’m gonna go hold down the bathroom for a minute, I’m going to try to fix my hair.” Krista said, the eighteen hour drive showing in her messy face and hair.

I opened the trunk with the key from my neck, and found a pair of socks. I slipped my ring inside from where I had put it in my pocket to keep Krista from seeing. I slipped the socks deep down in the trunk, and looked for some fresh clothes. I had given Ash his shirt back and slipped my own back on. After digging, I found a black and grey striped turtleneck sweater, and some dark jeans. Krista came back out from the bathroom, and I went in.  It was small, with a sink, toilet, and small shower in the corner.

I grabbed a clean rag off of the little towel rack and soaked it in warm water. I wiped down my face, arms, legs, and torso. I got my fingers wet and ran them through my hair. I fixed it with my hands and a bit more water, just leaving it down. I put my sweater and jeans on, and put my knee high converse on. We walked out to the cars, and Ashley and Jake were waiting for us. Ashley had changed into a button up black shirt, with new jeans and the same black boots. Jake had also changed. His formerly deep blue shirt had been replaced  with a tight black t-shirt, and a new pair of jeans replaced his old ones. Ashley smiled at me, and took my hand as he leaned against his truck. We waited a few minutes, casually talking amongst the four of us, when Andy, CC, and Jinxx joined us.

“Where do you guys want to go?” Jinxx asked, looking at the nearby restaurants.

“How about that diner?” CC said, pointing at a small diner down the street.

“Looks good.” Jake nodded, and took Krista’s hand as he began to walk towards the silver building. We all started walking, and took up the entire sidewalk as we talked as a group.

“Jinxx?” I asked.

“What’s up, Alice?” He replied.

“How do you keep in touch with Sammi if you’re on tour and out in Arizona all the time?” I asked, bringing up his wife.

He laughed. “She comes with us. She’s actually in Arizona with Juliet and Lauren holding down the fort while we’re gone.”

CC and Andy nodded. “You’re like, queen of the establishment when you’re together with one of us. Second in command, kind of.” CC spoke up.

Ashley gently squeezed my hand. “Do you like power?” He whispered in my ear.

I grinned. We continued to walk and talk until we reached the diner. Krista and I went in, and the guys followed. We sat at a large round table, and a waitress dressed in a red shirt and jeans came to our table.