Prologue

"Something life-changing will happen to you," Mother Superior said in a hushed voice.

"What does that mean?"

Mother Superior's eyes were wide and askance.

"There is a darkness approaching Amaris, and I fear that you'll be the only one who can save us from it!"

Amaris tried hard not to snatch her hands away from Mother Superior's grasp.

"Amarisa!" Her grasp tightened, turning Amaris' already pale hands even paler. "Amaris! You must take heed. Not everything is as it seems. Dark times are coming!" Mother Superior's dilated pupils began to constrict, her grip loosening.

Amaris was trying to establish eye contact with Mother Superior when the castle bell began to ring loud and true.

The bell could only mean one thing.

"Go, Amaris, go! Your family needs you!"

Amaris ran.

She usually enjoyed running, but this time she couldn't feel the usual thrill that it came with. Now, she felt afraid, running for her life. Or rather, her mother's.

After dodging a series of carts and merchants, Amaris finally arrived at the castle. She could already hear panicked talk of the Queen.

No! It can't be. Not yet.

Hurriedly, she rushed through the many corridors of the east wing, before finally running into her mother's chambers out of breath.

Almost instantaneously, her brother turned to her, an angry frown placated on his forehead.

"Where have you been?" He bellowed.

"Marcus. I-I was just at the market I--"

"This isn't the time to be at the market! Mother is--"

"Son, do not take your anger out on your sister." The King said silently, looking up.

Amaris took a look at her brother and father.

Their eyes were red as if they'd been crying forever. A cough sounded from the bed. Amaris rushed over and grabbed her mother's ice-cold hand as fiercely as Mother Superior had grabbed her own.

"Mother?"

The Queen's eyes fluttered open, recognized Amaris, and fluttered close.

"Amarisa..." her mother's voice sounded broken. Her hand trembled as she lifted it, her eyes opening briefly.

Desperate to help, Amaris grabbed her mother's hand. It trembled open, a necklace within.

She lifted the pendant from the Queen's palm. The necklace had a gold neckline and a gold pendant.

"You must keep this with you, always." The Queen breathed. Her chest heaving.

On the back of the pendant was a phrase written in the Old Tongue.

Amaris did not yet understand the Old Tongue. She was not due to learn it for 2 years.

"What is it, Mommy?"

"Important." Even with her frail voice, her mother's tone still held authority. "This will carry you through the darkest times."

Darkest times? Could times get any darker than today?

"Promise me you'll never take it off, Amaris. Promise!"

"I- I promise," Amaris' voice caught.

The Queen's body shook as she coughed into the already blood-stained napkin.

"Marcus," The Queen's voice rasped. "Take her away."

"What?" Amaris' eyes snapped up from the necklace.

"Come, Amaris," Marcus said, holding his hand out to his younger sister.

"No! No, I don't want to go!" Amaris felt her brother lift her from the ground. "No! I want to stay! I want to stay! Don't make me leave!" Amaris fought and kicked to the best of her ability, but her brother being the taller and stronger of the two was hardly fazed.

Outside the Queen's chambers, Amaris stopped fighting, crying in silent defeat.

"Mom!" She shrieked in one final attempt, but it was too late; Amaris could feel it, her mother was gone.

The castle bell rang five times.