Chapter 1

2 years later.

"Amaris?" The King says.

"Yes, Father?" I look up from my hands clasped in my lap.

"I know this is new and sudden," he says. "I wanted to talk to you and your brother before things progressed."

"So you're asking for our permission?"

"No."

"Blessing?"

"No." I can tell he's getting annoyed, but I have to push.

"Opinion?"

"No!"

"Then why are you telling me this if what I say or think doesn't matter?"

"You are a part of this family. I'd like to tell you what's going on."

I sigh. "When will she be arriving?"

"Early come morrow."

I scoff. Wow, great. He will marry this stranger and tells me less than 24 hours before the woman arrives. And apparently, he wants me to know what's going on.

I swallow my anger. "Will that be all, Father?"

"Well, I'd like to know that you'll be present upon her arrival."

"No, thank you." I begin to rise.

"Amaris." Marcus looks up for the first time during the whole conversation.

I plop back down on my seat, heaving yet another sigh, consequently blowing my black curls from my face.

"I don't understand why I have to be there. She's not going to be my mother."

"Amaris." Marcus raises an eyebrow at me. It seems my name has become a new favorite word for him.

"Well, she's not!"

"She will be Queen!" Shouts my father. "And you will do well to respect that!"

Very rarely does my father ever raise his voice at me. This woman is worth raising his voice at me?

I purse my lips. "Fine," I mumble.

"So you'll be there?"

Instinctively, I grab the pendant around my neck. "As you wish, Your Highness. May I go now?"

The King nods.

Well? Thoughts so far?

I know we just began and the chapters are feeling short and fast-moving at the same time, but I kind of wanted to throw you guys into this, while still allowing for exposition.

I hope that you guys are interested so far, I promise there's more to this story than meets the eye.

If you liked it please don't forget to vote! And expect two more chapters this Sunday!

7/19/23

- Katie Bird.