prologue | the beginning

[ Elise Hart ]

I was the perfect girl. Or at least that's what people called me.

I had everything planned out. I was gonna graduate high school in a year as valedictorian and get into an Ivy League school.

Until this happened...

1 year ago...

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I asked my best friend, Lola, while we were on the way to the math department's office.

"Do you want to pass this fucking test or not?" Lola asks me.

"I do, I do, it's just that... I don't think it's a good idea to sneak around the school in the middle of the fucking night to the math department to steal the answers to the math test, which we'll take tomorrow!" I whisper-shout at her.

"Well, if you've got a better idea to pass this test, I would like to hear it," Lola whisper-shouts back at me sarcastically.

"What if we can ask for help from my parents? They're accountants, after all. They would know a thing or two about this," I tell her.

"Asking your parents to teach you math lessons? Ugh, as if," Lola replies, acting grossed out.

"Lola, Els, keep an eye out for 10 o'clock," my other friend, Rina, commands us on our earbuds.

Have I forgotten to tell you that Lola insists that the heist must be action-movie styled? Yup. Typical Lola.

"Relax, R, no one's even here besides us, everyone's already gone home," Lola replies.

Someone suddenly shines a flashlight behind us.

"HEY! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?"

Oh fuck.

---

"What the hell were you thinking, all three of you?!" the principal's voice booms at us.

Here we are, at the principal's office. It looks so awkward, the three of us getting scolded by the principal... in his pajamas.

"Can someone please explain whose idea was it to steal the answer sheets from the math department at this time of night?!" he yells at us — all three of us.

"It was Elise's idea, sir," Lola immediately replies.

"WHAT?!" I yell at her. "YOU WERE THE ONE WHO WANTED THE ANSWERS TO THE TEST AND BEGGED ME AND RINA TO COME WITH YOU ON THIS STUPID HEIST!"

"Yeah, Lola, why do you keep pinning all your faults on the same person?" Rina tells her.

"No, I swear, I wasn't the one who planned it!" Lola pleads with the principal.

"Fine, then. Since none of you will admit, all 3 of you will get punishment."

I swallow, preparing for the worst.

"All 3 of you will be suspended for the rest of the year..."

I gulp. Lola gasps while Rina's mouth hangs open.

"...and are sentenced to academic probation for the upcoming year."

"WHAT?!" all 3 of us scream.

"I'm sorry, but I have no choice. You've refused to tell the truth to me, and without evidence of who the real culprit is, I don't have any of a choice either other than to hold you all responsible."

"That's not fair!" Lola cries.

"I'm sorry, Miss Lopez, but my decision is final."

Present...

I can't believe my entire 12th-grade plan was ruined because of the stupid heist.

If only I hadn't come with Lola and Rina.

If only I hadn't agreed to that stupid fucking plan.

Ugh, God, how could I be so reckless?

I can't even sleep properly these days.

Ring! Ring! Ring!

Oh, look. My alarm. Have I forgotten today is the first day of 12th grade?

Well. Let's just hope this year treats me right.

A/N: hi everyone!! i hope you'll like this new book i wrote. i apologize if there are inconsistencies in this story as it's my first time writing. anyhoo, i hope you'll continue to read this book until the very end!