30.) Means to an End

Honey was laying on Tristan's chest, watching him sleep when Myra called. She didn't take her eyes off him as she grabbed the phone from her nightstand.  

"Hello?"  

"I stabbed your brother," she sobbed.  

"I know. I'm not mad you did it either, girl. Calm down." 

"I want him out my house. I need to change the locks. Can you take me to Ace's?" 

"Just gimme a minute, baby. I'll be right there. Is Keira alright?" 

"Yea. She's asleep." 

"Alright. Ace's close at seven. So be ready when I get there." 

"Okay." 

Honey got off of her husband and he woke up. He tried to pull her back to bed, but she just kissed him and got up.  

"Baby, where you going?" 

"Ima take Myra to get her locks changed right quick. I'll be back." 

She kissed him and went to wash up before she threw on sweat pants and his t-shirt, sliding on footies and tennis shoes before she picked up the first set of keys she saw.  

Tristan's Mustang lit up and she got in the car, opening the garage and driving to Myra's house.  

Myra was sitting in the window with Keira in the car seat. She got up as soon as she saw Honey and strapped her daughter in.  

Honey took her hand as she sat beside her. She really felt bad for the shit Myra had to put up with.  

Myra immediately started crying again. "It's going to get better, love," Honey promised.  

"Why can't I just stop loving him?" 

"It don't work that way. You don't need him, though, Myra. I know you only nineteen. But you got your own house and you work for yours. You young enough to start over. Ain't no one gon be mad if you leave Cash." 

"Ain't no if," Myra told her, wiping tears.  

When the nigga started bringing home diseases, she was done. She had thought that once they had the baby and she got on birth control, she would let him go in her raw. But now she wished she had kept buying him condoms.  

As Myra sat there in her bed, she wondered, what if it had been HIV? What if it had been herpes? What if it had been HPV? What if it had been hepatitis anything? This nigga being a ho affected her health. What if he had given her something while she carried their daughter and she didn't know and the baby got it? What then?  

"I'm not mad at you, Myra. Cash my brother. But I woulda left that fool a long time ago if I was you. You can love a fool but you cain't make a fool have common sense. You can give him a home, you can give him a child. But if he wanna run the streets, he will. My advice: let a dog roam. But lock the door right behind it. Ima love my brother 'til we gone. But you deserve better. Loving him don't mean I think you oughtta just sit back and let him do that shit. I tried to talk some sense to him. But he ain't listen." 

Myra just nodded as the car glided into the parking lot. She got her baby out the backseat, and the women went in, Honey holding Myra's hand. She felt so terrible for her. She didn't know how Cash could be so disrespectful to the mother of his daughter.  

Myra went to talk to an employee about changing her locks, showing him the lock she had taken off of the side door. She wanted a universal lock for all four entrances and an alarm system.  

When Myra made her purchases, she turned to Honey.  

"Will you teach me how to shoot a gun?" she asked seriously.