the last word 2:9

Mae approached Hotch's office to let him know the team had gathered and they were waiting on him. What she didn't expect was the door to be open and him to be talking to a familiar-looking woman.

"Excuse me," Mae said knocking on the door. Both Hotch and the woman turned to look at her. "We're getting started," she told him. She was about to leave before she glanced at the woman. "Oh my god! Emily?" Mae exclaimed, excited to see her old coworker and friend.

"Mae! What are you doing here?" Emily said, walking into the woman's embrace.

"I'm the media liaison," Mae told her. "When did you get to Virginia?"

"A few days ago," Emily told her. Mae was about to continue the conversation and catch up with the old friend before she heard Hotch clear his voice, gaining her attention.

"I'll be right there," Hotch told her.

"Right," Mae said walking out the door. 'I'll talk to you later,' Mae mouthed to Emily before disappearing behind the door.

When Mae walked into the round table room where everyone stood looking at the two case boards. She nervously paced back and forth in front of the two boards. Not only is the case important, but it's also in her hometown, where the rest of her family still lives.

"What's wrong with her?" Morgan asked Reid quietly.

"She's from St. Louis," Reid whispered back.

As Hotch and Gideon entered the room Mae changed and composed herself to the best of her abilities getting ready to present the case.

"St. Louis is in trouble," Mae told everyone.

"They've got 2 serial killers," Hotch said as he looked through his file.

"This killer abducts his victims from public places," Gideon said, approaching the first board. "Dumps them in the woods. They consulted us months ago after the third murder."

"Well, now it might be up to 6," Mae explained as she pressed a button on the remote, turning their attention to the screen. "Ellen Carroll's been missing since yesterday," she said as a woman's face appeared on the screen. "The first 2 victims were found near Mill Creek, in Mark Twain National Forest."

"No wonder it takes days to find the bodies," Reid explained, studying the forest's map closely. "The forest is 1.5 million acres, and 78,000 of that is wilderness."

"What's the story with these women?" Hotch asked, turning his attention to the other case board.

"8 victims. All prostitutes. Latest is Marci Mitchell," Mae said, motioning to the picture from the most recent crime scene. "She was killed last night with a .44 magnum. All are tied to a serial shooter claiming responsibility. He's contacted Jim Meyers, a reporter at the Missouri Herald."

"So he's not getting the attention he thinks he deserves," Hotch said as everyone looked at a letter that now appeared on the screen. "He signs it, The Hollow Man, names himself for the press."

"Why Hollow Man? What, he feels empty inside or something?" Morgan asks, looking at the two presenting the case.

"He uses hollow-point bullets," Mae said blankly, staring at the screen. "No one even knew this guy existed until he sent this letter."

"Well, he's killed more victims but look who he's chosen. Hundreds of victims go unnoticed because they're social outcasts and never make the front page," Hotch said, looking over the photos of the victims.