Chapter 1 ☆*。

˚₊‧꒰ა ☆ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚

Status: Unedited

"[First Name]?" My mom utters in disbelief, her eyes wide and her face contorted in fear. I quickly hide my face, turning it to the side in shame, as I grip my mask in my palm tightly. Dry tears stream my face, and I sniffle up snot. I look over at the street a couples way down, eyeing a crushed yellow taxi alongside a villain, and some others, I do not know the name of. A woman and a girl in a spider suit, except they both adorned different colors and styles.

I take a deep breath, but it turns out more of a shudder. The faint sound of sirens are getting closer and I silently wish the interaction between mother and daughter could just end already. I shut my eyes, clenching them together as tight as I can before peering back up at my mom. She walks towards me, reaching her hand out, but then quickly retracts her arm, as if I'm poison.

My face contorts into one of hurt, and I scoff. Is my own mother so afraid of a hero? Of me? She's so close I can hear her uneasy breathing and see her long dark gray hairs in detail. I look at the patch of white growing in the front and watch as a small tear forms in her, conveniently alike, gray eyes. I try calling out to her, but my voice doesn't seem to work properly right now. Swallowing hard, I hear the sirens getting louder by the second, and I'm contemplating just putting my mask back on and swinging away to avoid the trouble; but then that just seems insensitive, doesn't it?

"Ma," My voice seems to be working now, "I-". I stop, not knowing what to say now that I got a word out. She still stares at me, like she sees something foreign, like she's seen an alien. However thinking about it, maybe I am an alien to her.

"Ma, I can explain-"

"You're..." Her voice quavers slightly, eyeing my suit in distrust, knowing what the spider symbol in the center of it means. Her eyebrows furrow in confusion; how could her own daughter hide the fact that I am the very thing that she despises?

"...Neon Spider."

✩°。⋆⸜ 🎧✮

Okay, let's start from the beginning: My name is [First Name] [Last Name], and I got bit by a ; and for one year and sixty-five days, I have been the one and only Neon Spider. I wake up, go to school at Midtown, come back, wait for some crime, and then go be the friendly neighborhood hero I am. Yeah, I saved basically the whole of Brooklyn a couple of times, no biggie; although, I couldn't save him...

I met some random people who also claim to be spider-woman and fought alongside them to avenge his death. My mom, for some reason, ends up witnessing everything, including my mask unveil, and you basically know the rest. Well, this is how it all started...

✩°。⋆⸜ 🎧✮

"Hey!"

I whine, jokingly pouting when my best friend, , stole my phone from out of my hand. She's super duper smart, although half of the time she doesn't like it. I was typing mid-sentence, and my phone was open, "Who were you texting that was sooo important you couldn't pay attention to your best friend, hmm?" She asks, scrolling through my phone in investigation. I groan, and roll my eyes, crossing my arms in defiance. I was (key word: was) texting my mom about if she was planning on coming back late tonight.

Sometimes I feel bad, she's one of the top reporters in New York City, and she works hard to supply our income. My dad divorced her about six years ago, when I was around eleven, so she decided to keep her full maiden name, . Although, they weren't really even my real parents, I was adopted around two; however, they were the only parents I knew growing up, so I considered them my own. With a loud huff, I continue the walk down a small part of Kings County, Brooklyn, conversing with Peta as she still scrolls mindlessly on my phone.