29 - Flooded

Ash's eyes moved to the closet, and he stepped over to the closed doors, rolling them open to see Jasmine sitting on the floor, legs bent to her chest with her face buried into her knees.

Her shoulders were shaking as she let out quiet sobs and gasps, arms hugging herself as if she were cold.

She didn't seem to notice him.

Ash kneeled down in front of her, taking the blanket that was over his shoulder and draped it around hers.

She stiffened at the feeling, but Ash continued to pull the softness around her and tucked it in over her arms.

But she only held herself tighter, the sobs that got caught in her throat suffocating her.

As he heard more of her little gasps, Ash got down onto his knees and crawled in the closet beside Jasmine, settling down next to her and brushing his fingers through her hair.

Her gasps got louder at the gesture.

Ash sighed. "Come here. It's okay, Jasmine. It's alright."

He gently nudged her head with his hand, expecting her to flinch away.

But she didn't.

She moved her head at the feeling of his touch and rested her cheek on his shoulder.

She's not resisting anymore... he noticed.

It could've been because she was too broken.

His lashes lowered at the thought, heart breaking slowly like someone was pounding it with a hammer.

"Can I pick you up?" he wondered in his most gentle voice, getting into a crisscross position.

There was a long outstretched silence, then she nodded.

"Okay." He slipped his arms under her. "Ready? One, two, three." And he lifted her up, setting her in his lap.

She was as stiff as stone, shaking slightly, but Ash still felt it.

"Head on my shoulder," he instructed softly, guiding her. "There you go." He brushed her hair out of her face, hoping to see her expression but she turned her face into his neck, hiding it.

All he saw was her left cheek that was stained with tears.

"Relax," he said when she tensed at his touch. "I need you to trust me. I won't hurt you, you know this. We've been friends for years."

He brushed some more hair away, catching a glimpse of her eye before she turned her head further to hide it again.

He still saw it though, how her lids were squeezed shut, brows drawn together, and lashes soaked.

He felt his heart crack a little more, on the verge of bursting.

"It's okay," he whispered, running a gentle hand up and down her arm. "Shhh... Breathe and relax... Relax...."

"I'm scared," she breathed shakily. "I'm scared."

"I know," he responded. "That's why I need you to breathe, okay?"

"I can't breathe..." she responded, sobs getting louder. "I feel like I'm dying."

"Jazzy..." Ash murmured.

"Help me..." she sobbed quietly. "I'm dying... I'm dying!"

His heart shattered like glass when she started crying, feeling her sobs rattle his lungs as he held onto her.