[13]

2 months later...

The rays of sunshine beam down on my face, causing my eyes to squint and groan in responds. I rest my hand over my eyes, blocking out a bright light, but it's not use. I huff and eventually force my eyes open, apart of me still wanting to crawl back in bed and pull the covers above me.

A half hour goes by, and I stroll down the stairs and find my dad cooking breakfast. I furrow a brow, confused as I never see my dad cooking. I continue going down the steps, remaining a confused expression on my face.

"What's all this?" I ask him as I sit on a chair at the table.

"Decided to make a little breakfast. You like pancakes?" He flips the pancake over in the air as I watch it land on the uncooked side, sizzling on the pan.

I nod my head in response. "And bacon."

My dad chuckles, and some part of me felt like he was finally turning his life around for the better. No more pounding packs of beer in one day, gluing himself to the couch as the tv blares in the living room for hours on end.

But no, this time, my dad was up and around, moving and walking around the kitchen with a big towel hanging over his shoulder as he keeps his focus on the pancakes.

"Bacon is ready on the counter. I took it out a few minutes ago so it may be hot still."

I get up from my seat and see the cooked bacon sitting on the counter on top of paper towels, stains of grease seeping through the white towel.

I grab a plate from the cabinet, and place three pieces of bacon. It's crispy and hot to the touch. I reach for a glass of water, grasping it with my free hand and walking toward the table before sitting down.

"Pancakes are done!" My dad beamed.

I look over at him in his direction, watching as he makes a plate full of pancakes, and holding a bottle of syrup in his free hand.

"Smells delicious." I hum in delight.

My dad smiles in response, and sets down the pancakes in the center of the table.

The two of us take a couple each at a time. I take a bite of the crispy bacon and eating the freshly made pancake along with it. The flavors of the two mix together, and my tastebuds explode with satisfaction as I start to eat faster, scaring down my food and clearing my plate.

"Any plans for today, honey?" My dad asks as he takes a bite of his bacon.

I think long and hard if I had made any previous plans with anyone, but nothing comes to mind.

"No, I don't think so." I take a swig of my water.

"Are you still with that Billy kid?"

I chuckle softly and lean back against the chair.

"It's Bill, dad. And yes, I'm still with him."

"Is he treating you good?"

"It's great with him. He's so supportive of me and every decision I make."

My dad smiles softly to himself, proud that his daughter had found someone else to take care of me.

I wrap up my breakfast and put my dish in the sink. My phone buzzes in my jean pocket, and I grab ahold of it and peer down at my screen.

It was Emma. Sydney's mom.

My heart skips a beat at what her text message could possibly say.

My eyes scan over the message, and I realize she was asking for me to come over and collect some things that Sydney would want me to have.