Chapter 2-Bloody 18!

Sunday 24th of March 2013, afternoon, Greece

I heard the bells singing the rhythm of four o’clock they used everyday, but it wasn’t a sing to me this time. The exact moment the bells started their happy rhythm I felt my whole body going numb and then an uncontrollable rush of pain took over my body. The shopping bags fell of my arms and I fell on my knees wrapping my hands around my body panting. I felt my whole body on fire and my vision was starting blurring.

I looked up at the red cross in the church’s roof to pray to God for help. Indeed, I found it sparking and throwing red sparkles that were dancing in the air till they meet the ground. Soon there were so many scattered on the ground that it seem like it was on fire. I looked up in the sky to found it dark, with many black clouds cycling the place up of me. There was sun everywhere except for the church where the dark clouds were creating a cyclone eye. The wind got worse and the trees around my started moving violently by its force.

Back to me, the pain didn’t stop, on the contrary it got worse and I started hallucinating. I started watching blood everywhere around me. I saw blood running down the church’s stairs or from the trees, I saw the blood moving towards me while I felt blood coming of me too. Blood was running from my eyes down my face, my hands and my legs too were covered in blood while the other around hadn’t even touch me. I felt my neck burning and my heart was beating so fast that it hurt. I saw the blood that was coming towards me to get up and start its death dance around me so much grace. Like a miracle taken from the fairy tales where the forest fairies could make the water dance around them in different shapes and forms just like that it dance all around me, cycling me, covering me and eating me. That’s when I felt like something inside me broke in thousand little pieces, and soon, the darkness possessed me…

I woke in the sound of my name being called many times. I opened my eyes to find my mum next to me trying to touch while the policemen were dragging her away. I saw my little sister sitting in a corner away from everyone with her legs up her chest, hands wrapped around them and her head leaned between them. There were more policemen around me checking the whole place but no one seemed to notice that I was now awake. I tried to get up but ended as a failure. A policeman close to me though notice my little attempt and ran to me shouting to the others. My mum stopped struggle to get free from the policemen’s grip and they let her go with clear shock on their faces. My mother rushed over me and took me in her arms. There was panic everywhere, people running up and down shouting. I saw Maria’s face moving up meeting my sight, she unfolded herself and tried to move towards me. I felt my mother’s breath on my neck and something water like to fall on my skin while I felt myself being stroked.  

 More cries. More shouts. More panic.

After some time an ambulance came and took me to the nearest emergency hospital. Time passed with exams, check ups and crazy doctors running all over the hallway. Shouting, cursing, swearing.  Panic and craziness everywhere. The funny part is that I never understood the whole thing. I never got why everyone acted like that. I was fine. Totally fine. Well, I was a little bit of tired but after that there was nothing else. 

I had no scars, no injuries, no broken bones, and I was not raped. The policemen were scratching their heads all the time not understanding. They couldn't believe how I had nothing while they had found me in a massive pool of blood. They assured the doctors that I was almost dead back there. Both of them, doctors and policemen, were fighting all the time on what was really going on. I wish I could explain to them too, but I had no idea too. What could I tell them? That I saw blood dancing everywhere?

The worst part is that my whole family was here. Perfect! I just destroyed my eighteenth birthday! I just destroyed their happiness! They have been waited for this moment for a long time ago...

It hurt me deep to see them like that. Worried, afraid, terrified, angry and most of all, lost. They couldn't believe that something like that. Just like every family they were praying and fear for the family's children not get attacked ever in their life. Their fear came true, even though it wasn't really true, well, because I wasn't attacked at all.

After some hours, very long and non-peacefully hours, everything got a little quiet and finally I could get some rest. This whole madness drove me crazy. I was lost in my thoughts without noticing what my relatives were doing. I was thinking about all that happened. The red cross, the pain and all that blood, god, no one would ever believe me if I talked about all that. I couldn't get what was all those...weird things that happened back there.

I felt some movement close to me and I flinch a little. "Shh... It's okay sweetie, it's me, daddy", with all that thinking I had forgot about my dad. He had come from his work the moment my mother called him from the hospital. He had dropped whatever they were doing in his job and came immediately. Hell, he have even fight with the doctors and the policemen. I think that he might even punch some of them. I was glad they didn't arrest him for that.

He moved and sit on the bed next to me. My mother came and sat next to me from the other site, making me feel like a sandwich. She started touching my hair and giving me sweet kisses on my forehead. After a while I felt me father moving his weight  and then his hand went to his back pocket. He then brought his hand forward and tended it to me. There was an old yellow brown envelope in his palm. I looked at him with question.

"It's yours. I found it in our post box when I passed from our house to take some things your mother told me to. It's for you", I tended my hand and took the envelope. Everyone in the room, even the doctors and the policemen that were on the door's frame, moved closer to me looking at it with wonder. I felt something heavy on my legs and found Maria sitting next to them facing me and the envelope with fear and scruple.

I looked at all of them and gulped. That was feeling so weird, what did they thought it was? A bomb?

I moved my gaze back to the envelope. I read the dates that was written on it. It said that it was given to the Hellenic Post Office on 23rd of September on 2000, that's almost thirteen years back. There wasn't any name for the one who post, it said only that it came from the U.S.A.. There was also my name and a note that the letter must be given to me on 24th of March of 2013.

I tried to open the envelope but ended ripping it in the back. Damn, that glue was hard for sure! I pushed my hand inside and took out two pieces of paper. The one was folded in the middle while the other seemed to be something like a ticket. I look at it better and indeed it was a real air ticket. It wrote Turkish Airways Tickets. There wasn't any date written on the flight information box, it was blank with a small black star which lead you to a note that said this ticket was bound to be used whenever the user wanted to.

My head started hurting as more questions started popping in my head. Who sent me that? Why from America? And why should I go to Turkey? 

I decided that there must be some king of an answer in the folded piece of paper. It was yellow, probably from the amount of time that has passed. I unfolded it and move it closer to me not wanting anyone else to read it before me.

If you want answers then you should follow my leads.

Under that there were some instructions on where I should go and what to do. I would fly to Constantinople, also known as Istanbul. It told me in what hotel I should stay and some other things. It wrote also that I had to go to Çatalca, a city and a rural district close to Istanbul, and that was because this small city was exactly the place that my grandmother's family was chased away from...