Chapter 10: They're Gone?

Lockwood POV:

With a final flourish, I threw the net over the various array of sources that lay before me. We'd just found them after a long evening of sparring with the dead, without mercilessly destroying something for a change. The pressure in my ears dissipated, and clearly, it did for my comrades as well. I bundled them under my arm and proudly straightened up to receive their hearty, yet polite applause. I wondered what would happen if every case ended like this, I would certainly not be complaining.

However, it felt weird not to see George sigh in relief, and wipe his glasses on the hem of his shirt, or have Lucy run up to me and squeeze my arm checking if I was alright. Sure I loved this attention, but they were my family.

Striding outside, I placed the sources in the waiting cart surrounded by iron-clad men, ready to whisk them off to the furnaces. Without pausing, I walked towards Miss Bancroft and held out my hand for her to shake. "Completed much earlier than expected Mr Lockwood. Excellent work, I should hope to hear from you again soon. You are relieved of your duties now and may return to your charming little house. I shall leave you a dashing review in the papers." My smile broadened, I was sure my teeth were dazzling. "Just doing my duty Ma'am, I have enjoyed my time here thoroughly".

"Oh, rather modest are we, well just know that your sum shall be wired into your account in the next few days, if you do not receive it, contact my assistant, she will solve the problem for you."

And with that, she turned on her heel and promptly left. I did much the same, flashing my most charming grins to everyone who came into my line of sight.

I arrived at the hotel and after some internal deliberation, which didn't take too long, decided to go to the station after a quick sleep. I was rather adamant to get home after being away for so long.

-Time skip-

Stretching and yawning, I awoke from a much-needed nap feeling splendid due to my success last night and the excitement of seeing my friends again. I threw on one of my suits, and combed my hair in front of the mirror for a length of time I will not be mentioning. I then brushed my teeth, packed up my things and headed downstairs to check out. Waving to the receptionist as I left, I realised that breakfast had not been on my agenda for the morning, so I decided to buy some doughnuts from our usual place, for myself and George and Lucy when I got back.

The train left the station at 2:00 am on the dot, and I was fashionably on time for it. 2 hours early. But after a run-in with an old friend, a terrific accent, and a rather pathetic chase on his part I managed to squeeze into a carriage by myself and enjoy the peace until my return to Portland Row.

Standing at the door again brought back a flood of joy that only this small pocket of the earth could bring me, and I relished in it for a good 10 minutes before finally opening the gate and heading to the door. I crossed the iron line, which we really must have got fixed, and grasped the knocker firmly in my hand. I beat it firmly against the door and waited for my welcome. However, there was nothing.

I tried again as it was rather early for them and they may have been in bed still, yet the silence screamed back at me. Eventually, I went through the trouble of obtaining a spare key, greatly frustrating the neighbours in the process and letting myself into the house. The first room I looked in was Lucy's room, as she is the heaviest sleeper and would have most likely still been in bed then. She wasn't there. Worry started to constrict in my chest. I headed downstairs and checked the living room to no avail, and then quickly made my way into the kitchen. A note. I picked it up and read it. "Damn it, Lucy!" I cried aloud to no one in particular, and before I knew it I was out the door and sprinting towards the nearest Taxi.

My heart was racing, and my mind cloudy, but I could only think about one thing. They had gone in blind without even thinking, and that was going to cost them big time. Because I knew about that place, and I knew they were in serious danger.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------