The New Girl

Sometimes the most life-disrupting things looked quite inconsequential at first sight.

Like the smear of lipstick on her father's collar that was just a shade too pink. Or the time her little sister slipped fluffy-socked feet into high heels because she wanted to play dress-up.

Or Alexandrine Cabrera when she started at Clearwater High.

Skylar let her eyes wander from dark brown hair (no highlights, not expertly cut but at least washed) to the Chuck Taylors (tatty, old and gray) the new girl had dragged across the linoleum floors with a squeak when she had entered Ms Morrison's classroom. A black backpack was haphazardly slung over one shoulder and there was no makeup to refine her admittedly nice features, not even a bit of mascara.

"Everyone, please give a warm welcome to Alexandrine Cabrera, the latest student to join our Clearwater family!"

Scattered applause sounded and when Skylar didn't bother to join in she heard it fall silent.

"Would you like to tell us something about yourself?" Ms Morrison continued with a red-lipped smile. The deep carmine color really didn't suit her cool skin tone, it washed her out.

New Girl scuffed her already worn shoes. "Hi, I'm Lexi, don't call me Alexandrine. I moved here last week, hope we'll get along."

"Any likes, dislikes?" Ms Morrison prompted when nothing more was forthcoming.

"I like books and mechanics and I dislike the color pink."

Skylar, who was wearing a pink headband that perfectly accented her blond waves, felt her brows twitch.

"Alright, feel free to sit down, Lexi, there's an empty seat next to Mr Carter."

This time Skylar's brows didn't twitch but lower into a frown.

New Girl's gaze swept across the classroom and Skylar definitely saw her eyes widen when they landed on Ace Carter in all his glory, from his tattooed knuckles to the leather jacket slung across the back of his chair. A stray beam of sunlight was glinting off the piercing in his ear, lighting up his forest green eyes and bathing his bronze skin almost golden.

Oh no, you don't.

New Girl took the seat Ms Morrison had indicated and Skylar was gratified that all the reaction Ace gave her was an annoyed wince when the legs of her chair screeched as she scuttled it closer to her table.

"If you have any questions, come to me or ask your class representative, Maya Thakur. And now, back to our lesson! Who wants to tell me about the chapter you had to read as homework? Gregory?"

While Greg Johnson fumbled his way through something approaching an answer, Skylar leant slightly back so she could better see Nadine Braunstein, who'd been trying to get her attention by waving a manicured hand underneath the table.

'Those shoes,' Nadine mouthed and shuddered.

Skylar nodded. 'That hair.'

"And her hoodie," said Iris Meyer-Cheng – out-loud. "Shapeless."

Ms Morrison pursed her too-red lips. "Iris, anything you'd like to add?"

Skylar rolled her eyes.

"Nothing, Ms Morrison," piped Iris to some snickers.

Ms Morrison hummed doubtfully but resumed grilling Greg readily enough, leaving Iris alone.

All in all, it didn't seem like much. Alexandrine – Lexi – Cabrera was barely a blip on Skylar's radar, a shy thing that hid behind a curtain of hair and baggy clothes and who'd soon enough be swallowed by the bog that called itself High School, disappearing into a corner of the cafeteria populated by the other no-names. Not ugly or annoying enough to become a victim, but not confident or pretty enough to be competition.